Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Can anyone provide any insight with regard to ESO? Is it anything like Skyrim? I understand its based on the same land and similar storyline, but I mean Skyrim being a single player vs. a network game. I usually don't play online games, and I don't like doing the team thing, so I would most likely play this solo, but is that something that can (or should) be done?

I see I can get The Elder Scrolls® Online: Tamriel Unlimited™ for 29 bucks and of course there's also Morrowind coming soon as well.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
ESO is no Skyrim, and you will be sorely disappointed if you go in expecting that.

That said, ESO for PvE Solo is good, not great. I find the story lacking compared to Skyrim.
Some things are really good, perhaps even better, like combat (which needs to be tight for PvP play).

Where ESO shines most will be multiplayer PvE (doing coop stuff with friends or strangers) and PvP. For that, it's excellent.

I've enjoyed the game so far, but I've spent more time grinding for loot and crafting than doing quest and it's starting to drag a bit. The new Morrowind DLC looks good and I'm looking forward to trying it out at some point.

You can get ESO:Tamriel Unlimited base game for some platforms for as cheap as $10. HDD space is huge though (~90gb) regardless of whether you play on disc or digital-download, so I recommend buying as digital download next time it goes on sale. The amount of content in the base game is MASSIVE, and totally worth trying at that price. There is an upgrade to Morrowind version you can buy later if you find you like the game.

However, if an open world solo fantasy RPG is really your thing, I'd recommend Witcher 3 or Zelda:BOTW over ESO if you have not played those games yet.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
ESO is no Skyrim, and you will be sorely disappointed if you go in expecting that.
Actually, I was. I thought it was skyrim, just with other people involved Thanks for the heads up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.