Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Is anybody Playing Elder Scrolls Online with a controller since they added the controller patch into the game via the Orsinium DLC ?

If so which controller do you use and have you any issues with it ?

TheBunny

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
DC / Baltimore
Is anybody Playing Elder Scrolls Online with a controller since they added the controller patch into the game via the Orsinium DLC ?

If so which controller do you use and have you any issues with it ?

Hi, I wrote that code, before I left the company back in april.
Anyhow the code was written and tested with the PS4 controller using a USB cable.
And with a Xbox one controller using a add on OSX control panel... don't recall the name I think there is just one online and it is free.

Did you run into problems?

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hi, I wrote that code, before I left the company back in april.
Anyhow the code was written and tested with the PS4 controller using a USB cable.
And with a Xbox one controller using a add on OSX control panel... don't recall the name I think there is just one online and it is free.

Did you run into problems?

PS4 controller with cable I get the odd camera spin and on loading the map it just keeps zoomimg out on its own.

TheBunny

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
DC / Baltimore
PS4 controller with cable I get the odd camera spin and on loading the map it just keeps zoomimg out on its own.

Hmm sorry, I have no idea how to fix that.

Once in while there was bugs like that in the game in general with the mouse.

You are using and official sony PS4 controller correct?

Do you own a second one you can try instead?

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hmm sorry, I have no idea how to fix that.

Once in while there was bugs like that in the game in general with the mouse.

You are using and official sony PS4 controller correct?

Do you own a second one you can try instead?

Yup official PS4 controller, nope no spare one.

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
It says on the website that the game can be played on PC/Mac. Does this mean Mac is OK but only using Boot Camp?

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
It says on the website that the game can be played on PC/Mac. Does this mean Mac is OK but only using Boot Camp?

Nope it means it runs on your Mac providing your specs are up for it, it runs best under El Capitan.

TheBunny

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
DC / Baltimore

Hi Paulk, I actually wrote the Mac game client.

The ESO Mac client runs really well.

But as with most games performance is better under Windows or bootcamp.

Your Intel HD Graphics 4000 768 MB, is really on the bottom end of what you need to run ESO.

Recommended video ram to match a PS4 is 1.5 GB for starters.

Reactions: b0fh666

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden

Your Intel HD Graphics 4000 768 MB, is really on the bottom end of what you need to run ESO.

Thanks for that reply, but in addition to my bottom end graphics, my Disk Utility tells me I don't have enough free space left to run the game: some 55 gb quite a bit less than the 80+ gb I would need. 76 gb is taken up by apps...

TheBunny

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
DC / Baltimore
Thanks for that reply, but in addition to my bottom end graphics, my Disk Utility tells me I don't have enough free space left to run the game: some 55 gb quite a bit less than the 80+ gb I would need. 76 gb is taken up by apps...

The games is around 40Gb and the patcher can use up to x2 that or more when installing the biggest patches that had been released.

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
The game is much more than 40Gb, I have paid for a game before (some SEK250) and not been able to play it, so I just lost the money. I will not take the chance the same will happen again.

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden

Since going up to OS Sierra, lots of of extra space is available. Disk Utility shows that I now have 58.18 Gigs free, which is half the total on my hard disk, but ESO recommend for Mac System Requirements is 85 GB free. Is there any way I can safely buy the game with what I have got, nearly 30 GB less than the recommended?

TheBunny

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
DC / Baltimore
Since going up to OS Sierra, lots of of extra space is available. Disk Utility shows that I now have 58.18 Gigs free, which is half the total on my hard disk, but ESO recommend for Mac System Requirements is 85 GB free. Is there any way I can safely buy the game with what I have got, nearly 30 GB less than the recommended?

Nope.
The Game needs like say 60 GB and they PATCHING system can use something like double that on large patches. That is where the issues come in.

On the other hand external HDs are pretty cheap these days, 50$?
Could put the game on one of those.

Laucian Nailor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
UK
Nope.
The Game needs like say 60 GB and they PATCHING system can use something like double that on large patches. That is where the issues come in.

On the other hand external HDs are pretty cheap these days, 50$?
Could put the game on one of those.
Chris, good to see you on here. It was always great to get your input in the ES Mac forum, especially with quick problem solving suggestions.
The 64 bit client move from the original 32 bit was a game changer :)

Sadly trying to find out if ZoS has a dedicated Mac developer in the team right now and if so, interact with them is a whole house of pain and frustration. Hope the new projects are going well for you.

TheBunny

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
DC / Baltimore
Chris, good to see you on here. It was always great to get your input in the ES Mac forum, especially with quick problem solving suggestions.
The 64 bit client move from the original 32 bit was a game changer :)

Sadly trying to find out if ZoS has a dedicated Mac developer in the team right now and if so, interact with them is a whole house of pain and frustration. Hope the new projects are going well for you.

I probably check in here at least once a week.

>The 64 bit client move from the original 32 bit was a game changer

Excellent! I worked had to get that all out the door and leave the Mac Client in the best shape I could before leaving. 64 and OpenGL update.

New Projects... Have not done to much work. Ended up remodeling to bathrooms at home instead so far... Have a few weeks of stuff around the house to do still and after that I will probably be programming full time again on 2 small mobile games. Maybe by spring they will be ready / fun.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.