Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
Sorry guys, not too familiar with graphic cards and all that technical stuff. That being said, I am wondering if I can play ESO on my late 2009 iMac? I know it is 27inch if that helps? :eek:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
It's a wild guess, but I'd say you'll be around or a bit below the minimum requirements. You either have the ATI Radeon HD 4850 or the 4670 (you may check that from "About this Mac" menu option). The former is the better of the two.

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
This is what it says on ESO:

The Elder Scrolls Online client requires 60 GB on the computer's hard drive. At least 80 GB on PC and 85 GB on Mac are needed to perform the download and installation operations, and the computer needs about 15% of its hard drive space to be empty to run properly.

The game requires approximately 53GB on the PlayStation 4 and 59GB on the Xbox One.

Please note that the client size can change with the evolution of the game.

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com...-i-being-told-i-don’t-have-enough-disc-space?

My old Macbook only has 55.32 gigabytes free. So unless there is a way to use space on an extra drive I won't be able to play.

TheBunny

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
DC / Baltimore
Hi Paulk

I made ESO for Mac. ( left the company last April )

Don't bother installing ESO on that old iMac it will not be a good play experience.

As for the extra drive idea.. if you can download the patcher disk image from the ESO forums
you can place that on any drive even if the official installer is refusing to install.

ESO really does need up to 100 GB of HD space total to be able to apply large data patches.

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
I don't have an iMac, perhaps you are referring to someone else?

Even so, I can't install it on my Macbook pro Retina, won't even try.

TheBunny

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
DC / Baltimore
I don't have an iMac, perhaps you are referring to someone else?

Even so, I can't install it on my Macbook pro Retina, won't even try.

The OP of course :)
This is what I get for posting right after waking up.

An Yes your Intel HD Graphics 4000 768 MB... is on the low end for the current version of the game.
5200+ is much better on say Medium settings.

Reactions: Paulk

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
I tried to join ESO for the free trial but I was let down by my steam account which I have not used since way back. Well, never mind, I anyway will spend the next few months hoping my spellweaver to reach level 40 in Drakensang. I can't anyway have two major games running at the same time.

ricmcgmr

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
The game is free to play on Steam right now. Might be a good time to give it a try and see for yourself how it runs.

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
Yes, I used steam when my elder son was a child. It is steam which is my problem in getting into ESO. I gave his email address, when registering with Steam. Really dumb!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.