Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
It is not noticeable during regular use, but if I place my ear close to the keyboard or speakers of my MacBook Pro in a quiet room, I can hear some sort of electrical current sounding noise. Does anyone with the 15 or 13 inch tbMBP notice this? Any older models have this sound? I know that this device requires lots of energy so maybe it is normal to have this?

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
It is not noticeable during regular use, but if I place my ear close to the keyboard or speakers of my MacBook Pro in a quiet room, I can hear some sort of electrical current sounding noise. Does anyone with the 15 or 13 inch tbMBP notice this? Any older models have this sound? I know that this device requires lots of energy so maybe it is normal to have this?

I noticed this too, so I spent a while figuring out what actually causes the noise and it turns out it's the embedded SSD. I tested and heard this on 2 different 2016 TB MacBook Pro 15" (2.9/1TB/460). The way to reproduce is duplicate a large folder in Finder and put your ear near the keyboard. It's loudest if you listen to the bottom of the computer. I taxed the CPU and GPU and it did not produce the sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Didn't hear anything on both 13 and 15 when benching them with Aja System Test.

I can make my PC produce it if I copy paste a mega sized file, but only if I put on headphones with high volume.

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
Didn't hear anything on both 13 and 15 when benching them with Aja System Test.

I can make my PC produce it if I copy paste a mega sized file, but only if I put on headphones with high volume.

How big is your SSD? Wonder if this is 1TB related or luck of the draw.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
How big is your SSD? Wonder if this is 1TB related or luck of the draw.
512GB. But the SSD is very small and extremely efficient. It doesn't consume enough power to cause any electrical noises. You are most likely getting it from components associated with power supply ramping up and down.

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I would agree with you but surprising only happens when the SSD is being taxed. Running graphics and CPU benchmarks are completely silent.

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016

I noticed this too, so I spent a while figuring out what actually causes the noise and it turns out it's the embedded SSD. I tested and heard this on 2 different 2016 TB MacBook Pro 15" (2.9/1TB/460). The way to reproduce is duplicate a large folder in Finder and put your ear near the keyboard. It's loudest if you listen to the bottom of the computer. I taxed the CPU and GPU and it did not produce the sound.
Whenever I put my ear right next to the keyboard I can hear it. It's a super light electrical buzzing noise. For me it doesn't matter what I doing to the computer. If you put your ear right on the keyboard during regular use can you hear anything?

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
Whenever I put my ear right next to the keyboard I can hear it. It's a super light electrical buzzing noise. For me it doesn't matter what I doing to the computer. If you put your ear right on the keyboard during regular use can you hear anything?

For me the sound comes SSD use, at idle I don't hear anything, at least loud enough to hear. Interestingly enough, I was at Best Buy today and decided to see if their 15" display model had this sound. I duplicated a folder and heard the electrical sound louder than mine even with the all the background noise.

Which part of the computer is the sound loudest for you (left, middle, right, or all)? Easiest way is put your ear up to the bottom of the computer and the sound is the loudest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
For me the sound comes SSD use, at idle I don't hear anything, at least loud enough to hear. Interestingly enough, I was at Best Buy today and decided to see if their 15" display model had this sound. I duplicated a folder and heard the electrical sound louder than mine even with the all the background noise.

Which part of the computer is the sound loudest for you (left, middle, right, or all)? Easiest way is put your ear up to the bottom of the computer and the sound is the loudest.
It's audible on the centre and left side of the keyboard. The sound exists only when you're ear is right near near the keyboard, not in normal sitting distance, and is still very light.

rtsai92

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
hi, my new Mac mini is making a weird noise that might be what you've described. would you mind to have a look?
Here's the video, probably have to increase the volume to hear it. Thanks! https://streamable.com/iwfo2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.