Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sumleilmus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
/
I have an SSD named IID, a MBP-tp (MacBook Pro touch-pad), Anker6 (externally powered Anker 6 port USB3 hub), Anker9 (externally powered Anker 9 port USB3 hub), a Yafeite hub with two male USB-C connectors, one female USB-C port and two USB-3A female ports.

Usually the two Ankers occupy the two USB-3A ports on the Yafeite hub, which itself connects to two USB-C female ports on the left side of the MBP-tp.

The SSD IID is in an Inatek FE 2007 USB3 enclosure/hub. The Inatek device works flawlessly if directly connected to a USB-C port on the MBP-tp, or to a USB-3A port on the Yafeite hub.

But (!) when connect to the Anker9, it does not mount. Enter the Klein Tools USB tester ET920 (essentially a digital voltmeter/ammeter). when the Inatek is connected to Anker9 via the USB tester, the tester shows 4V, so no wonder it does not work. When the Inateck is connected to to Anker6, it appears not to work, but when the tester is interposed, I see about 5V and about 0.5 A, and (!) the device mounts. I have tried changing USB cables, but this makes no difference

How could the interposition of the test device make such a difference? The test device is too expensive to allocate one to each self-powered USB enclosure. Connecting transformers (power supplies) to each nominally but not actually self-powered inclosure is tedious in a complex multi-volume system.

I can see that I might need a higher voltage (greater wattage) power supply for the Anker9, but what is going on with the Anker6 and the test device?

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
What the heck is a "MacBook Pro Touch Pad"? Apple has never made a touchpad Macbook.

You haven't said what all this is plugged into. I'm assuming some sort of macBook or desktop mac.

It really doesn't matter "why" the drive works when plugged into the tester. 4V is 4V and 4V is wrong. Either the Anker9 power supplied is overburdened by the stuff you have plugged into it, or is defective.

I would put your drive in a POWERED enclosure. And drives should ideally be plugged directly into a port on your computer (which is.....???) rather than an external hub.
[doublepost=1548178849][/doublepost]
Connecting transformers (power supplies) to each nominally but not actually self-powered inclosure is tedious in a complex multi-volume system.

No clue what a "nominally but not actually self-powered enclosure" is. Sounds like some kind of scam product.
[doublepost=1548179435][/doublepost]
The SSD IID is in an Inatek FE 2007 USB3 enclosure/hub. The Inatek device works flawlessly if directly connected to a USB-C port on the MBP-tp

Which is not surprising, since it is the recommended/best way to connect an external hard drive.

or to a USB-3A port on the Yafeite hub.

I looked this thing up. Eek.

Did you look at the reviews on this thing?

https://www.amazon.com/Yafeite-Adapter-MacBook-Chromebook-Devices/product-reviews/B07LBDYK3Y

(Edit: I guess this isn't the exact model, this is for older Macbooks. You didn't give a model number. But "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree", and so I wouldn't expect your model to fare much better than these reviews.)

Why would you buy a Macbook Pro and then plug this cheap garbage into it?

Did you connect your Macbook power supply to this ungainly 3(+) headed Ghidorah? Are you running all of this off the Macbook battery/USB-C connections with nothing else powered?

From your comments, it sounds like you are not powering one or more devices that were meant to be powered. That's not a great idea.

Why not get one, substantial (not plasticy - looks like it will fall apart if somebody breathes), powered USB-C expansion device that has all the ports you need?

I don't have a current Macbook with USB-C. (My 2008 Aluminum Core 2 duo is still going strong, and I use a 2012 Mac Mini i7 and 2017 iMac Pro). Others here can guide you to a port expansion box that will actually work.

Will the MacBook be powered, or not powered in use?

Last edited:

Sumleilmus

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
/
What the heck is a "MacBook Pro Touch Pad"? Apple has never made a touchpad Macbook.

Thank you for offering to help. I regret having been unclear. For Touch Pad read Touch Bar. As detailed in my signature, it is a MBP or MacBook Pro.

It really doesn't matter "why" the drive works when plugged into the tester. 4V is 4V and 4V is wrong. Either the Anker9 power supplied is overburdened by the stuff you have plugged into it, or is defective.

I would put your drive in a POWERED enclosure. And drives should ideally be plugged directly into a port on your computer (which is.....???) rather than an external hub.
[doublepost=1548178849][/doublepost]

No clue what a "nominally but not actually self-powered enclosure" is. Sounds like some kind of scam product.
[doublepost=1548179435][/doublepost]

Which is not surprising, since it is the recommended/best way to connect an external hard drive.
A nominally but not actually self-powered enclosure is, well, what I wrote. It claims to be self-powered, but cannot be demonstrated so to be.

I have a lot of external drives, that's why I've been using nominally high-wattage USB3 hubs (powered ones). The problem with their function is the one I'm trying to solve

I looked this thing up. Eek.

Did you look at the reviews on this thing?

https://www.amazon.com/Yafeite-Adapter-MacBook-Chromebook-Devices/product-reviews/B07LBDYK3Y (Edit: I guess this isn't the exact model, this is for older Macbooks. You didn't give a model number. But "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree", and so I wouldn't expect your model to fare much better than these reviews.)

The one I'm using - I have two - works fine, and is not the one your link points to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074RFT1VS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why would you buy a Macbook Pro and then plug this cheap garbage into it?

Which higher quality products do you recommend?

Did you connect your Macbook power supply to this ungainly 3(+) headed Ghidorah? Are you running all of this off the Macbook battery/USB-C connections with nothing else powered?
Power flows into the MBP via the Yafeite hub. Into it are plugged the two powered USB3 hubs. In the two remaininhg USBC ports are connected an RJ-45 (ethernet) port which is also a non-powered USB3 hub, and a USBC-Lightning cable.

From your comments, it sounds like you are not powering one or more devices that were meant to be powered. That's not a great idea.

Why not get one, substantial (not plasticy - looks like it will fall apart if somebody breathes), powered USB-C expansion device that has all the ports you need?

Which higher quality products do you recommend?

I don't have a current Macbook with USB-C. (My 2008 Aluminum Core 2 duo is still going strong, and I use a 2012 Mac Mini i7 and 2017 iMac Pro). Others here can guide you to a port expansion box that will actually work.

Will the MacBook be powered, or not powered in use?

It is almost always powered except when I travel.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.