Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i_c_s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2019
I have a MacBook Pro Retina (Mid-2012) and I'm currently on holiday in the Dominican Republic. Today, I was doing work on my computer while it was plugged in, and I reached over to unplug it and touched the metal bit on the charger. I wasn't shocked, but I felt a "fizzing" sensation that actually hurt quite a bit. I also touched the lid of my laptop and got something that felt like a static shock but stronger. I am using the 3-prong charger and the building I am staying in is fairly new.

This has never happened to me before, at home or while traveling.

My mac has had its battery replaced once, but it continues to lose charge very quickly and asks me to service the battery. Maybe that has something to do with this problem I am having.

Any theories/ideas/fixes would be much appreciated. Thanks!

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I had this issue on an older Mac but solved it with the three pronged cable. It had a buzz/tingling sensation on my palms while typing. Perhaps your cable is damaged and not grounding properly? Or the outlet isn’t grounded properly. Try different outlets.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
A lot of Mac computers do this when you use them with an ungrounded power cable. My 2013 rMBP did this too and same as the other comment, issue goes away with the grounded power cable.

i_c_s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2019
A lot of Mac computers do this when you use them with an ungrounded power cable. My 2013 rMBP did this too and same as the other comment, issue goes away with the grounded power cable.

I am using the grounded power cable. It's hooked up the the box on my charging cord and it has the 3 prongs.
[automerge]1577582126[/automerge]
I had this issue on an older Mac but solved it with the three pronged cable. It had a buzz/tingling sensation on my palms while typing. Perhaps your cable is damaged and not grounding properly? Or the outlet isn’t grounded properly. Try different outlets.
This outlet has been working fine until now. I will try different outlets. Thanks for the tip!

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I have a MacBook Pro Retina (Mid-2012) and I'm currently on holiday in the Dominican Republic. Today, I was doing work on my computer while it was plugged in, and I reached over to unplug it and touched the metal bit on the charger. I wasn't shocked, but I felt a "fizzing" sensation that actually hurt quite a bit. I also touched the lid of my laptop and got something that felt like a static shock but stronger. I am using the 3-prong charger and the building I am staying in is fairly new.

This has never happened to me before, at home or while traveling.

My mac has had its battery replaced once, but it continues to lose charge very quickly and asks me to service the battery. Maybe that has something to do with this problem I am having.

Any theories/ideas/fixes would be much appreciated. Thanks!

the wall sockets you encounter that phenomenon with are either:
1 not polarized (and therefore really dangerous, don't use them at all) or
2 are polarized and you don't have a plug with polarized blades

in which case, there is only 1 thing to try:
try reversing the your plug in the socket (turn it upside down and insert it)
if that doesn't fix it, then stop using that socket.
that tingling is not fatal (to most users with no heart implants) but it is not good for your machine.
don't repeatedly use that plug that causes that sensation.

it happens frequently to me as i travel through asia.

i_c_s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2019

that tingling is not fatal (to most users with no heart implants) but it is not good for your machine.

Thank you! I appreciate the advice!
[automerge]1577640185[/automerge]

Thank you! I appreciate the advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.