Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Is anyone else have some weird changes in the elevation numbers are you getting on your watch? I use the modular face on my Ultra and I have the elevation on the sides. Since watchOS 10.3 I have had weird jumps in the number. Siting in the same spot at my desk all day, it will go from 595ft to 750ft later in the afternoon. I know this probably isn’t the most accurate number coming from the AW, but what’s with the big changes?

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
dont know.

but here is some related info from a different perspective.
this info relates to elevation change (not necessarily correct indication of initial elevation itself).
can you co-relate these elevation inconsistencies to atmospheric barometric pressure changing at a quick pace outside of your building in your area?

when i go running in the hills around my house, on days when the weather conditions are changing quickly, the equivalent flights that i run up drops dramatically from the usual (and verified) 28-30 equivalent flights to only around 20-21 equivalent flights, running the same course.

also there is this: the equivalent flights data is different between what your iPhone is recording, and what your Watch is recording
in the iPhone Health app you can selectively re-order and turn off either the Watch or the iPhone writing of this data, and by doing this you can actually show that the data that the Watch and the iPhone are writing about elevation are different from each other.
in my case, my iPhone provides better elevation change data than the Watch.

in apple support documents apple does indicate the elevation level itself is +/- 20m.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmac4

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Interesting, not sure about the barometric pressure outside. I didn’t notice these large changes until recently. Made me curious if there was a bug. Last week I was having an issue with it not working at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.