Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Just saw that Elgato have upgraded the software for the turbo 264? Has anyone tried it yet? I have an eyetv on my iMac G5 and it takes quite a while to export to apple TV. I seem to remember reading that the older software resulting in poorer quality files and would like to know if it has improved.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Just saw that Elgato have upgraded the software for the turbo 264? Has anyone tried it yet? I have an eyetv on my iMac G5 and it takes quite a while to export to apple TV. I seem to remember reading that the older software resulting in poorer quality files and would like to know if it has improved.

I just tried it. It does support DD 5.1 now. Chapter Markers are added also. I'm doing some video conversion now at Apple TV Normal Setting and Apple TV at 150%. Just to see if there has been any video improvements added in.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
I downloaded the update last night and started a video conversion (AppleTV std) this morning. I'll have to wait until I'm home from work to see how it did. Hopefully the update eliminated the mosaic pixelation issue that plagues the earlier versions.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Not bad. Apple TV @ 150% looks great. It's about the equivalent of HB at around 1700-1800kbs 2 pass. But the file size will be much bigger with Turbo. I tested on a movie running 1:30 min. HB produced 1.5 GB @ 1800kbs 2 pass. Turbo 1.9 GB with ATV @150%. Looking carefully HB produced a clearer and sharper picture on challenging scenes. So for users without INTEL Macs, this is a great device to have.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Not bad. Apple TV @ 150% looks great. It's about the equivalent of HB at around 1700-1800kbs 2 pass. But the file size will be much bigger with Turbo. I tested on a movie running 1:30 min. HB produced 1.5 GB @ 1800kbs 2 pass. Turbo 1.9 GB with ATV @150%. Looking carefully HB produced a clearer and sharper picture on challenging scenes. So for users without INTEL Macs, this is a great device to have.

Also the previous version had a bug that produced mosiac video using the Apple TV preset, that bug is still in there despite asking for it to be fixed for about 8 months. It's unacceptable to take this long and not fix major bugs. No matter to me as I've stopped using it, my Solution I bought a Core Duo 2 and now get speeds in Handbreak that are the same if not a bit better.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Also the previous version had a bug that produced mosiac video using the Apple TV preset, that bug is still in there despite asking for it to be fixed for about 8 months. It's unacceptable to take this long and not fix major bugs. No matter to me as I've stopped using it, my Solution I bought a Core Duo 2 and now get speeds in Handbreak that are the same if not a bit better.

I haven't seen it yet. I have an iMac G5 2.0 ALS with 2GB RAM. Which movie and which chapter or area of the movie? If I have the movie I'll try it out and see if it does that on mine.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I haven't seen it yet. I have an iMac G5 2.0 ALS with 2GB RAM. Which movie and which chapter or area of the movie? If I have the movie I'll try it out and see if it does that on mine.

It's usually in the last ten minutes of whatever you are encoding.

Also I could'nt find a setting for having it pass the 5.1 , does it just do this automatically if you use the Apple TV preset?

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
It's usually in the last ten minutes of whatever you are encoding.

Also I could'nt find a setting for having it pass the 5.1 , does it just do this automatically if you use the Apple TV preset?

Alright I'll try a few more movies. I'll do Starship Troopers and see if it does it.

Yes its automatic for 5.1. No settings to check.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Alright I'll try a few more movies. I'll do Starship Troopers and see if it does it.

Yes its automatic for 5.1. No settings to check.

Are you using the preset as is or ar you making changes forcing a custom preset ?

There's just no comparision between a movie I do in handbrake, with 2 pass and a 2500 bitrate, it's just so much clearer and closer to the DVD that I really could'nt bring myself to use the 264 again, for the Apple TV Stuff I do, but I might use it for my Ipod Touch stuff.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Are you using the preset as is or ar you making changes forcing a custom preset ?

There's just no comparision between a movie I do in handbrake, with 2 pass and a 2500 bitrate, it's just so much clearer and closer to the DVD that I really could'nt bring myself to use the 264 again, for the Apple TV Stuff I do, but I might use it for my Ipod Touch stuff.

I just do Apple TV preset and change the Data Rate to Max. Which is 150%. Thats all I change. Finished with the movie and no problems checking each chapter.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Thanks for the replies, am still undecided though. Does the mosaic bug thing happen with eyetv recordings or with DVDs, or both? I tend to take DVDs into work and use handbrake on a windows machine to encode so only need faster encoding with EyeTV recordings.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Thanks for the replies, am still undecided though. Does the mosaic bug thing happen with eyetv recordings or with DVDs, or both? I tend to take DVDs into work and use handbrake on a windows machine to encode so only need faster encoding with EyeTV recordings.

The Bug seems random If I do 4 episodes on a tv Disk I'll usually get it on at least one of the shows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.