Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Usually, the only things you'll lose for sure are your cargo, collected but not yet cashed in bounties, and exploration data. (...)

With a starter ship and no upgrades, a new ship is free, however last night I figure I lost somewhere between 30-40k in bounty vouchers. (...)

Thanks both for the insight. It surely looks like losing your ship is a huge deal and sends you way back into the game. I guess I'll start working my way up using the Sidewinder and see how it goes. Hmm, so this is all about farming money like there's no tomorrow ?

Last edited:

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Janichan, please correct me if I'm in error...

Nah, sounds about right.

It seemed that once I turned a pirate red by firing on him, I may have not gotten the last shot, but it appeared I still got the bounty. Can you can confirm how it is supposed to work?
That's in fact correct. The developers changed very early on who gets the bounty after some complaints. I think it's who did the most damage, not who had the last shot.

Regarding ship and module replacement, I assume when resurrecting a ship with upgrades, the only time you get the insurance break is when you appear back at the station after your ship is destroyed. It must be paid for then. It and module replacement with the benefit of insurance rates can't be deferred until a later date? Thanks!
I'm not quite sure if that is what you meant, but on the insurance screen, you can chose individual modules not to be replaced, and so lower the rebuy cost of your ship. However, once you did that, you cannot get the modules replaced by the insurance later on.

Hmm, so this is all about farming money like there's no tomorrow ?
Depends on what your goals are. When you want to fly the biggest ship ever, you'll also need a lot of money in case disaster strikes. When you choose a role for which a smaller ship is sufficient, you can pretty quickly find a sweet spot where making money is not your biggest concern.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks both for the insight. It surely looks like losing your ship is a huge deal and sends you way back into the game. I guess I'll start working my way up using the Sidewinder and see how it goes. Hmm, so this is all about farming money like there's no tomorrow ?

Here is the list of in-game roles: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Roles

Now that I see the game, dog fighting for me is the only real attraction.

Nah, sounds about right.

That's in fact correct. The developers changed very early on who gets the bounty after some complaints. I think it's who did the most damage, not who had the last shot.

I'm not quite sure if that is what you meant, but on the insurance screen, you can chose individual modules not to be replaced, and so lower the rebuy cost of your ship. However, once you did that, you cannot get the modules replaced by the insurance.

Depends on what your goals are. When you want to fly the biggest ship ever, you'll also need a lot of money in case disaster strikes. When you choose a role for which a smaller ship is sufficient, you can pretty quickly find a sweet spot where making money is not your biggest concern.

Thanks as always for your insight. :)

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Insurance is 5%. I think there's a discount on that if you were an alpha / beta backer. Mine's definitely less than 5%, but still a lot more than the 200K loan, so I'd be screwed if I spent all my money on ship parts, then crashed into the station and exploded.

Money isn't so much of an issue after a while. Once you've got a big ship worth millions, you'll probably be quite adept at making money.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Indeed this thread has gathered some of the most useful information regarding Elite Dangerous.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
Rinse and repeat until you can afford a bigger ship. Your fuel cost would be negligible, since you're only supercruising around the same system.

A lot of quite useful informations in this thread, thanks!

I have one question, from a trader prospective are interstellar travels safer than interplanetary ones?

Travelling with a full cargo between space stations inside the same system for 700 Ls is more dangerous then jump to another star and then supercruise for 70 Ls

AFAIK supercruise travelling can be interdicted by NPC and Players while hyperspace jumps can't, am I right?

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I have one question, from a trader prospective are interstellar travels safer than interplanetary ones?

Travelling with a full cargo between space stations inside the same system for 700 Ls is more dangerous then jump to another star and then supercruise for 70 Ls

AFAIK supercruise travelling can be interdicted by NPC and Players while hyperspace jumps can't, am I right?

The risk is exactly the same. You're right, you can't be interdicted while in hyperspace, but hyperspace is basically just a loading screen for a new star system. When you get there you still have to travel in supercruise to reach the station.

A 70 ls trip probably only takes about 45 seconds less than a 700 ls one, given that you travel so fast on the longer trip.

Interdiction is quite rare, in my experience. For the past couple of weeks I've been travelling back and forth between two systems, both of which have human players and one of which has some warzones right next to the station. Despite being unarmed and carrying over 1.5M of stealable cargo I've only been interdicted once in the entire time.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
And another noob question for getting started: So after getting better with combat, docking and travelling training sessions, I got into the main game. First mission to take a cargo and transfer it to another station within the system map. Got that, but the destination station has no missions to offer at all.

Should I go back to the starting station and check the bulletin board again ?
And since I'd like to go for bounties, should I check the security office board for such missions ? (I assume they won't be posted on the normal bulletin board).

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
For the past couple of weeks I've been travelling back and forth between two systems, both of which have human players and one of which has some warzones right next to the station. Despite being unarmed and carrying over 1.5M of stealable cargo I've only been interdicted once in the entire time.

I must be unlucky then...3 days ago I was doing interplanetary shuttle trip in ERAVATE system and I was pulled out of supercruise and blown up twice in 3 hours (extra light Hauler with no weapons, no shield, 22 tons of cargo)....Since then I started doing interstellar trading runs with short supercruise trips (usually less than 200 Ls) and in 2 days it never happened again...

Now i have a Cobra Mk. III full cargo (except fuel scoop), in your opinion which is the best way to make money? Continue trading or set the space ship up for exploration and travel the stars?

EDIT: BTW, how to survive supercruise pullers?
- reduce heat segnature to avoid being spotted?
- full power to engines and hope to outrun them and then jump out again?
- stand and fight?
or there is a module that allow you to resist to FSD interdiction?

Last edited:

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
And another noob question for getting started: So after getting better with combat, docking and travelling training sessions, I got into the main game. First mission to take a cargo and transfer it to another station within the system map. Got that, but the destination station has no missions to offer at all.

You mean the bulletin board on the destination station is empty? That happens sometimes and is possibly a bug. The available mission list gets updated after a while or when you leave the station and return. There are some, very rare stations that do not have a bulletin board, though. In that case, just fly to any other station.

And since I'd like to go for bounties, should I check the security office board for such missions ? (I assume they won't be posted on the normal bulletin board).
Actually, bounty hunter missions are posted on the bulletin board. However, most bounties aren't posted that way, but simply tagged to the wanted ship. When you target a ship in space, scan it (i.e. keep it for a few seconds in your field of view) until its criminal status is shown, then you can check for the local bounty on the left-hand side cockpit panel under the "Contacts" tab. With an optional kill warrant scanner you can also scan your target for bounties that are not issued by the local authorities.

Now i have a Cobra Mk. III full cargo (except fuel scoop), in your opinion which is the best way to make money? Continue trading or set the space ship up for exploration e travel the stars?
Exploration is definitely the least profitable option. The beauty of the Cobra is that it is a very versatile ship. You can basically do everything you want with it almost equally well. The pay-off for trading and bounty hunting should be more or less the same with that ship. It's also a very good exploration ship, but - as I said - that does not pay well.

EDIT: BTW, how to survive supercruise pullers?
- reduce heat segnature to avoid being spotted?
- full power to engines and hope to outrun them and then jump out again?
- stand and fight?
or there is a module that allow you to resist to FSD interdiction?
You can't hide while supercruising, but you can escape interdictions. While you get interdicted, you will see an escape vector marker on the HUD. Align your ship with that vector long enough to fill the blue bar on the left, and you'll escape. It's not necessarily easy, since your ship will buck like a bronco and the vector will wander around. When it becomes clear that you won't make the escape, your best option is to throttle down to submit to the interdiction, boost away from your attacker, wait until your FSD has cooled down and escape. (Pro-tip: unlike the charging for supercruise, charging for a hyperjump is not delayed by ships in your vicinity.)

Or you turn to fight and make your interdictor regret he ever messed with you (unless it's system security who wants to see your pilot license). ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

If I was going to give this game a grade for missions and trading for a new player, I'd give it an F. As I said paltry missions and mediocre payouts for commodity trading, at least in a Sidewinder that only hauls 4 tons(4 slots).

The Answer: Bounty Hunting
Fortunately or unfortunately, the key is descent flying skills.

In the last 2 sessions the light bulb has illuminated, at least for early play, the huge payoffs are in bounty hunting at extraction zones. How huge? Last night 45 min reaped $135000 credits, a second trip to the extraction zone netted $95000, but I got killed and lost my vouchers. A third trip earned $105000. So right now I've got about $270k. This is a complete turn around from when I was struggling with missions and trading which beside low profits is boring as hell. Also the advantage of BH is that you are not investing in goods which are lost when you are blowed up. :)

How Does this work?
Take your stock Sidewinder to an extraction zone. These are located in asteroid belts. Locate asteroid belts by opening the galaxie map, pick a system, select System View. If that system includes an asteroid belt like the starter system does, if you click on it there will be a designation (forget exactly what it is), but it won't say extraction zone in that view. However if you pull up the navigation screen (default:left shift (hold)/A) and select the Navigation tab, the list will include all of the System nav points, which should include extraction zones.

Note that list will also include out of system nav points but those will be main system names like Evarate or LHS3447. If you are in the LHS3447 System, there will be a long list of points you may not recognize, like LHS3447A, B, etc. what you are looking for are Extraction Points or Zones. This is where mining is accomplished.

Depending on where you are in the system, ideally the extraction zone is 10LS away or less, but it could be 100,000LS (light seconds) which you can travel too in under 10 min with Super Cruise. Hopefully when it's time to collect your vouchers back at the station, there will be one close by, much closer than 100000 LS. Note: you have to get these vouchers back to the station. If you lose your ship, you vouchers are gone too.

Heading out to the extraction area it may appear that you are traveling to the boondocks with nothing around. However the game looks out for you and upon arrival, miners will spawn, and more importantly pirates, and hopefully Federal or System Authority ships will spawn. On your radar, traffic will build as the game generates activity based on your presence, at least that is my impression of what is happening. Fly towards activity. Select any ship you see, it will be scanned, and hopefully it will include a "wanted" designator. That is your payday. It will also include skill level from novice to master. I'll leave it up to you to decide how tough a target you want to tackle, however, keep track of the system authority guys. They will be out there attacking pirates. If you are in their vicinity there is a high likely hood they will jump in and help you. Or if you see them attacking a pirate, jump in and help them! That pirate most likely is going to be so busy, you will not be his primary focus. Be very careful and don't accidently shoot an Authority ship. In such a case they will no longer be your friend and will kill you, plus you'll have a bounty on you head. If this happens, pay off you bounty or fine at the station.

Once you've designated the target (default T key), he will get yellow brackets around him, but when you shoot and hit him, those brackets turn red. After you have damaged him, when he exploded, a bounty message will appear on the top right of your screen. It could be as small as $2000c or the largest I've seen is $26k and there seems to be no equivalence to difficulty and payoff. And the scan does not tell you how much the pirate is worth.

At the extraction point, pirates spawn fast enough that in my brief experience, you only fly around a couple of minutes before locating another wanted individual. Accrued bounties can be viewed on your left interface screen under Transactions. When I hit about $90k, it's time to head home and collect, unless you don't mind losing it. I had that much once, and out of no where a pirate appeared to engage and kill me in short order, but that has not been the norm.

Anyway, I'm working up a dog fighting guide which I'll post later. :)

Update: Extraction sites don't always show up right away unless you get close to them so knowing where they are is helpful. For the extraction sites close to Boswell Platform (LTT 18486), they did not show up in my navigation points until I was close to Boswell. I discovered them by accident. See this link: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Resource_Extraction_Site

Last edited:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Ditch the crappy pulse lasers will help as well. Either equip it with multi-cannons or the big cannons that are gimbaled. That is what I did. Now I'm in a Viper with 4x multi cannons and a millionaire. :D

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
If I was going to give this game a grade for missions and trading for a new player, I'd give it an F. As I said paltry missions and mediocre payouts for commodity trading, at least in a Sidewinder that only hauls 4 tons(4 slots).
(...)

Thank you VERY much for taking all the time to write this. I'll put this extraction points ambush tactic in use right away. Guess I'll have to get more familiar with the fact that Elite: Dangerous offers open routes you can freely take from the first moment, unlike other online games that player is guided along the way (especially at the beginning).

Ditch the crappy pulse lasers will help as well. Either equip it with multi-cannons or the big cannons that are gimbaled. That is what I did. Now I'm in a Viper with 4x multi cannons and a millionaire. :D

I guess this is important as well. Judging from some of the training combat missions that put players in a sidewinder equipped with the basic lasers, it took forever to get some ships down. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Thanks for jumping in! Right now I'm at an outfitting station deciding how I want to upgrade my Sidewinder. I've been told by my guild that fixed weapons are the strongest and by looking at the upgrade options, the Burst Laser is weaker than the fixed Pulse Laser but has a greater damage per second rate. This has to be weighed against it's tendency to overheat. I've been told that gatling guns are best used at close distance after the shields are down, but are not the best for long distance shots due to the lead factor and there are ammo costs as well. Have you ever run out in a battle? How much is ammo. I am considering changing out one of my Pulse Lasers for a gatling gun. Thoughts?

I'm also mullying over upgrading thrusters which I believe improves turning performance, while also considering upgrading my bulkhead to Military grade. For those who don't know, improved bulkheads help protect your ship from incoming damage when the shields are down. However I'm concerned that uping my bulkheads to military grade, because of adding mass, will diminish the the advantage of having improved thrusters. It could be a wash performance wise, while increasing protection. Thoughts?

Thank you VERY much for taking all the time to write this. I'll put this extraction points ambush tactic in use right away. Guess I'll have to get more familiar with the fact that Elite: Dangerous offers open routes you can freely take from the first moment, unlike other online games that player is guided along the way (especially at the beginning).

I guess this is important as well. Judging from some of the training combat missions that put players in a sidewinder equipped with the basic lasers, it took forever to get some ships down. :)

The key is maintaining positional advantage. Yes easy to say. If you do that, you are not getting shot (much) and your weapons will eventually prevail. :) I am working on some kind of a dog fighting guide which should help against AI adversaries, if I can put it into words that someone else can understand. :p

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Thanks for jumping in! Right now I'm at an outfitting station deciding how I want to upgrade my Sidewinder. I've been told by my guild that fixed weapons are the strongest and by looking at the upgrade options, the Burst Laser is weaker than the fixed Pulse Laser but has a greater damage per second rate. This has to be weighed against it's tendency to overheat. I've been told that gatling guns are best used at close distance after the shields are down, but are not the best for long distance shots due to the lead factor and there are ammo costs as well. Have you ever run out in a battle? How much is ammo. I am considering changing out one of my Pulse Lasers for a gatling gun. Thoughts?

Lasers are great for getting the shields down, but suck at destroying the hull. Projectile weapons are not as great taking shields down( but not that bad compared to the lasers crap performance on hulls), but will rape the hull.

Fixed may be more powerful, but gimbaled have the advantage of not needing to be in the best position for lead, etc so they can still fire at the target. If you ever lose the position needed to get a hit with fixed weapons, just gives the enemy more time to recharge its shields, etc. Where gimbaled is a constant barrage so even though weaker, the damage is probably more unless your pilot skills are awesome and can always stay in the best firing angle. For myself, I am still learning how the Viper handles( it's not quite as maneuverable as the Sidewinder which makes it tricky to stay on an Anaconda's tail and out of the line of fire) as I just got it last week( I started playing ED about two weeks ago). So having gimbaled are better for me and my current piloting skill.

As for the ammo, I always evaluate how much ammo I have and what ships I can take out with that ammo. Full ammo with 4x multi-cannons I know I can take out 2 Anaconda's, maybe 3( these are in the extraction sites where I have help taking it out). If I am on a contracted mission where it is just me and the Anaconda, I always have full ammo onboard. From empty it costs about $7500 which is nothing compared to the haul I bring in with the spent ammo. Though I am ignoring Sidewinders and hunting the more lucrative Cobra's and Anaconda's due to ammo costs( those $1000-$2000 bounties are not worth the ammo spent especially if I encounter an Anaconda later).

As for running out in a battle, I have only run out of ammo when I used the cannons( they were powerful, but only had 100 rounds) in the Sidewinder. I used to have 2x cannons and 2x multi cannons on my Viper and I would run out of the cannon ammo. I have since gone with the 4x multi-cannons. But again I always evaluate how much ammo I have remaining. When I get below about 600 rounds in each multi-cannon, I start thinking about heading back to resupply( I always want to have enough just in case I get interdicted and I can show that pirate just how big of a mistake he made interdicting me :D ).

I'm also mullying over upgrading thrusters which I believe improves turning performance, while also considering upgrading my bulkhead to Military grade. For those who don't know, improved bulkheads help protect your ship from incoming damage when the shields are down. However I'm concerned that uping my bulkheads to military grade, because of adding mass, will diminish the the advantage of having improved thrusters. It could be a wash performance wise, while increasing protection. Thoughts?

That's fine. Always need protection especially against an Anaconda because very likely you will lose your shields in the fight. :D

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
The key is maintaining positional advantage. Yes easy to say. If you do that, you are not getting shot (much) and your weapons will eventually prevail. :) I am working on some kind of a dog fighting guide which should help against AI adversaries, if I can put it into words that someone else can understand. :p

So, I went to the nearest asteroid belt and patrolled the area (there were also 2 security ships patrolling). After around 10-15 minutes there was a wanted ship (it was kind of a big one, not sure which type) that I took down with the help of the other ships for about 19k credits. But after that, nothing else came out in the area.

Then started traveling to various stations in order to check their bulletin boards. However, most of them (within the same system) were keep denying docking request to me. No idea why. Also, even the few stations that allow be to dock have only 1 contract in their bulletin board, or - most usually - none.

All in all, it seems that finding some action can be a pain. Most of the time I just have to travel from point A to point B without having a real reason, while also having no idea if the station in point B will allow me to dock. :confused:

A good case seems to be the unidentified signals that almost every time turn out to be wanted persons during super cruising, but they are too random.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
So, I went to the nearest asteroid belt and patrolled the area (there were also 2 security ships patrolling). After around 10-15 minutes there was a wanted ship (it was kind of a big one, not sure which type) that I took down with the help of the other ships for about 19k credits. But after that, nothing else came out in the area.

Then started traveling to various stations in order to check their bulletin boards. However, most of them (within the same system) were keep denying docking request to me. No idea why. Also, even the few stations that allow be to dock have only 1 contract in their bulletin board, or - most usually - none.

All in all, it seems that finding some action can be a pain. Most of the time I just have to travel from point A to point B without having a real reason, while also having no idea if the station in point B will allow me to dock. :confused:

A good case seems to be the unidentified signals that almost every time turn out to be wanted persons during super cruising, but they are too random.

The denied docking request is most likely because either A) You're too far away B) Every dock is full.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Lasers are great for getting the shields down, but suck at destroying the hull. Projectile weapons are not as great taking shields down( but not that bad compared to the lasers crap performance on hulls), but will rape the hull.

Fixed may be more powerful, but gimbaled have the advantage of not needing to be in the best position for lead, etc so they can still fire at the target. If you ever lose the position needed to get a hit with fixed weapons, just gives the enemy more time to recharge its shields, etc. Where gimbaled is a constant barrage so even though weaker, the damage is probably more unless your pilot skills are awesome and can always stay in the best firing angle. For myself, I am still learning how the Viper handles( it's not quite as maneuverable as the Sidewinder which makes it tricky to stay on an Anaconda's tail and out of the line of fire) as I just got it last week( I started playing ED about two weeks ago). So having gimbaled are better for me and my current piloting skill.

As for the ammo, I always evaluate how much ammo I have and what ships I can take out with that ammo. Full ammo with 4x multi-cannons I know I can take out 2 Anaconda's, maybe 3( these are in the extraction sites where I have help taking it out). If I am on a contracted mission where it is just me and the Anaconda, I always have full ammo onboard. From empty it costs about $7500 which is nothing compared to the haul I bring in with the spent ammo. Though I am ignoring Sidewinders and hunting the more lucrative Cobra's and Anaconda's due to ammo costs( those $1000-$2000 bounties are not worth the ammo spent especially if I encounter an Anaconda later).

As for running out in a battle, I have only run out of ammo when I used the cannons( they were powerful, but only had 100 rounds) in the Sidewinder. I used to have 2x cannons and 2x multi cannons on my Viper and I would run out of the cannon ammo. I have since gone with the 4x multi-cannons. But again I always evaluate how much ammo I have remaining. When I get below about 600 rounds in each multi-cannon, I start thinking about heading back to resupply( I always want to have enough just in case I get interdicted and I can show that pirate just how big of a mistake he made interdicting me :D ).

That's fine. Always need protection especially against an Anaconda because very likely you will lose your shields in the fight. :D

Are you saying you only had 100 gatling rounds on a Sidewinder? Or is a cannon different? I'll research!

I've got to ask, did you navigate to an extraction point and stay close by it? The 3 times I've been to the extraction point by Boswell Platform in the LTT18486 System, it was teaming with constant activity.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Are you saying you only had 100 gatling rounds on a Sidewinder? Or is a cannon different? I'll research!

Cannons are different. The multi-cannons have 2100 rounds each.

I've got to ask, did you navigate to an extraction point and stay close by it? The 3 times I've been to the extraction point by Boswell Platform in the LTT18486 System, it was teaming with constant activity.

I prefer the extraction area near the Wohler Station in Kremain. So if your canopy gets destroyed and you only have a few minutes of air, you don't get denied docking because every dock is full and you sit there pounding the request docking key and getting, " Docking request denied" as you suffocate. :p

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
The denied docking request is most likely because either A) You're too far away B) Every dock is full.

I'll have to check next time, thanks. I assumed it might was something with reputation thing.

I've targeted an asteroid belt within the startup system and when reached there, I've patrolled. The extraction points are the ones that look like a wireframed tunnel on the radar ? I think I was a bit far from it (although it was appearing in my target list from time to time while patrolling). Maybe I should choose a more "active" system instead of the startup one, no idea.

Last edited:

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
You could also lounge around the Nav Beacons that are in most systems. You'll usually find at least two or three wanted persons there immediately and if you'll wait a little there, often more will arrive.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Theory: ED alters the bounty payoffs based on your ship load out. In other words, if you use the default ship, you will consistently bag large bounties based on a higher difficulty level, that the game generates for you. And you may see different adversaries based on these upgrades.

Evidence: Three days in a row I visted the Extraction point next to Boswell Platform in a vanilla Sidewinder hunting felons. Each day, most of the bounties I collected where in the 15k range. Several were below that, but one was $23k.

Last night, I significantly upgraded my Sidewinder with power plant, power distribution, thrusters, a burst laser, and a Gatling gun. Proceeding back to the same point, I engaged in 7 battles and all of the bounty rewards were in the $2500-3500 range. This has a significant negative impact on earnings, where last night I accrued $23k, as compared to the 3 previous visits, I was earning in the range of $100k in the same period of about 45 minutes working the extraction zone.

Of note, with the upgrades, I've noticed no real difference in most fights other than my shields bounce back faster. I do not like the Gatling gun. It burns through 2100 rounds quickly and it is harder to hold it on target. Instantaneous line of sight, no lead, lasers are superior for consistently hitting the target.

One significant change, I saw my first adder which I made the mistake of attacking. This could be coincidence or as a direct result of my upgrades- undetermined. This death, lol was the first one that cost me insurance, about $7800 to cover upgrades replacement. Btw, if it was an Adder, which I am basing on profile, it shredded me in relatively short order. Sidewinder pilots beware! :p

Continuing Experimentation: Thankfully, the game buys back equipment at 100%. Tonight I am going to remove all of the upgrades and return to the extraction point with my vanilla Sidewinder to see what happens. It is possible that this shift in bounty payoff is due to the accrual of in-game experience. Will be collecting more evidence and report back.

Last edited:

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I'll have to check next time, thanks. I assumed it might was something with reputation thing.
That's also possible, actually. But you have to be in really bad standing until you get a docking permission denied due to your reputation.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
After reading this thread I'm very tempted to try this. I'm a little scared, as I'm the "close the curtains, turn up the sounds, put on the flying goggles" kinda player and I think this game could really suck me in.

I'm especially tempted to try it with the Saitek X52 Pro - does that work in OS X? I'd prefer not to dual-boot, so as long as the Mac version is playable I'll try to 'stick' with that (on a 2013 iMac, 8GB RAM, 1GB 750M, if that's relevant).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.