Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmac5500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I have a new 1080p hdtv and am looking to buy a video game console either PS3 or xbox elite due to the fact they will do 1080p. I will be playing sports games and the big titles only like gta etc.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Do you like the Sony or the Microsoft exclusives?
Do you want/need a built in Blu-ray Disc player?

Answer these 2 questions and you have answered your own question.

I've owned a 360 and a PS3. In the end I sold my 360 for no other reason than I couldn't fit 2 big a$$ consoles under my TV and the PS3 seemed like the best bang for buck for me (built in wireless, Blu-ray player, easily upgradeable hard drive, region free gaming, easy Linux installation).

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
If you want it for the HD-DVD/BD player then PS3 is better from a technical standpoint because it supports HDMI 1.3, which allows all the fancy 7.1 uncompressed audio plsu some other goodies whereas the Elite has the older HDMI 1.2 standard.

As far as the rest goes, this is the same "PS3 vs 360" topic that has been debated to death a thousand times over with nearly everyone saying "get a 360 cuz it has more games and xbl"

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I have a new 1080p hdtv and am looking to buy a video game console either PS3 or xbox elite due to the fact they will do 1080p. I will be playing sports games and the big titles only like gta etc.

Since you already have an HDTV I'd recommend the PS3.

Since (I assume) most of the games you'll be playing are multi-platform (GTA, Madden, etc) they'll be available for both systems so that could go either way since they look similar and are the same cost. The only slight difference I've found is that the PS3 seems to have slightly shorter load times.

But since you have an hdtv the blu-ray player in the PS3 is an awesome addition. Once you watch movies in HD it's hard to go back to anything else. And as sikkinixx mentioned the PS3 supports higher quality audio and video quality and codecs so it makes for a better home theater (with the right equipment, which you seem to have).

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Get the 360. I have both 360 and PS3. I love the former, and I'm soso about the latter, namely because there are no games for PS3 that excite me, and there are a wealth of games for the 360 that do. Seriously, get the 360.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.