Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dru_555

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2014
So, a long time ago, I realized that the “diagnostic charge” which dealerships and mechanics always start any repair with was literally them just plugging into the OBD2 port on my car and scanning for fault codes. Pathetically, I realized this because they literally cannot even offer to try to fix my car unless there is a code to scan. Yes, not even “certified technicians” know how to do anything a computer doesn’t tell them to do. Ok, so now I’m on iOS 12.2 and I’ve got my engine light and EPC light coming on, car’s acting funny, whatever. When I attempt to connect by wifi to my ELM327 OBD2 reader, as I’ve done many times in the past, something new happens. It used to warn me in iOS settings that the network had no internet. Fine. I don’t need it. But it would connect nonetheless and I could then use my third party scanning app to diagnose the trouble myself and then find the right mechanic for the fastest in and out possible, if I couldn’t just fix it myself. I haven’t had to use it since iOS 11. Now, when connecting to the wifi of my reader, iOS settings still says that the network has no internet, and then it just keeps loading as if it’s trying to connect to the scanner by wifi, but never actually connects to it. As if it won’t connect unless there’s internet, as if it’s Apple’s job to only allow me to make connections to networks with internet. To test this at home, after disabling my internet, my phone wouldn’t connect to my home wifi. It kept doing the same thing until I reactivated the internet connection, at which point it stopped “trying” and connected properly. I’ve tried with wifi assist and cellular turned off, which used to be recommended as a solution to problems of the past, but I can’t figure out how to get it to just connect to the ELM327 wifi code scanner without the network it broadcasts having an internet connection, which makes no sense and is unnecessarily controlling of them to assume that I don’t know what I’m connecting to or that I don’t want to be connected to it. Does anyone know how I can circumvent this new “feature”? I really don’t want to lose $150 so they can spend 5 seconds plugging in to my car and then act like they did this whole investigation into my problem that is somehow worth that charge. It’s a matter of principle. I hate car dealerships with a fiery passion, because I’ve worked in them before. My car is 6 years old, with 130k km on it, and they always tell me whatever I’m telling them I know is wrong with it is in my head and that it’s an old car with way too many kilometres on it and that I should trade it in for a newer model. That was the story when I was under warranty. Now the story is everything is wrong with it and I need a new car. I own a MK6 VW GTI, it is a very well maintained car, and operates very well. When it has a specific issue which affects the way it runs, I fix that specific issue, and then it’s like new again. The only reason I’m even considering going near my dealership is the long weekend starts after today and I need my car to drive quite a bit, and I can’t apparently even scan it myself right now. Help!!

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
1) paragraphs, jeez
2) "Now, when connecting to the wifi of my reader, iOS settings still says that the network has no internet, and then it just keeps loading as if it’s trying to connect to the scanner by wifi, but never actually connects to it."
What actually happens at this point? Does the network have the spinning wheel next to it, or a checkmark?

Reactions: Hastings101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.