Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Been on for 13 years, and it’s now time to go. Sad day.

Like someone else said, lack of moderation doesn’t mean free speech, it means a hell scape of harassment. Will be encouraging everyone I know to move to Mastodon.
Where did he say no moderation? also you can choose to follow or not anyone you want or block anyone you want

Mr. Skeleton

Suspended
Sep 26, 2016
Time to delete my account, I guess.
Cover those ears
Literally what makes you think a car company CEO can save a social media company other than the fact that he’s rich?

I’ll never understand the blind loyalty to Elon Musk.
What makes you think he can’t? He seems to have his ear on the pulse pretty well. Do the twitter exec even know what bots are?

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
From Eli Pariser -- great thread:

Musk’s stated reasons for buying Twitter are self-contradictory. He’s going to unlock Twitter’s profitability but also not running it to make money. He’s going to make the platform better for “absolute free speech” but create a subscription tier (impediment to unfettered speech!)

Pretty much every platform speech expert thinks his ideas are bad/unworkable. It’s a random collection of design ideas that sound good at first blush (edit button! Post the algo to Github!) but are very complicated and not necessarily helpful in practice. https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/04/18/musk-twitter-free-speech/

And his free speech ideas aren’t just dumb, they’re dangerous. What happens in a space with no public safety and no moderation? The loudest voices – usually the people who can pay the most – win. That means companies, bot networks, state actors.

Beyond that though, let’s remember that if/when Elon takes ownership of Twitter, he has a LOT of latitude to do *whatever he wants* with the platform. He can boot who he wants. He can shadow-ban who he wants. There’s no law that prevents that.

And he’s shown a willingness to use his companies to extract revenge on critics. Check this out: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/03/elon-musk-blogger-tesla-motors-model-x

Musk says he’ll steward Twitter for the greater good. Even leaving his personal history aside, the recent history of billionaires doing this is not so hot. For every Washington Post (praise grudgingly given) there’s a Tribune Company, Gothamist, Pacific Standard, or hey, MySpace.

Here’s the thing: This is not just about Twitter, and not just about Musk. It’s about the fundamental way we’re choosing – and it is a choice – to structure our communications mediums.

When we – the people who actually power these platforms and make them worth visiting – choose to structure them as for-profit companies, we choose to cede decision-making to the highest bidder.

But there’s no reason we couldn’t choose to create public benefit social media we own and govern. As @ethanz has been writing for years, in every new media epoch some countries choose to invest in public goods.

Maybe this is the kick we need to decide that the way we connect and communicate with each other shouldn’t be subject to the whims of a mercurial billionaire, and invest in something better.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Just a reminder that less content moderation ≠ more free speech.

It just means that the speech of the vulnerable, the harassed, and the targets of hate speech will be silenced, or at least chilled

Like someone else said, lack of moderation doesn’t mean free speech, it means a hell scape of harassment. Will be encouraging everyone I know to move to Mastodon.

To me there are two issues:

1. Harassment: Plainly unacceptable, period.

2. Hypocricy: No matter your political opinions, you have to at at least agree that its mostly conservatives being banned from Twitter while we still have Putin, radical fundementalists and continuing to use the platform.

I think Elon can address the later while not impacting the former.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Been on for 13 years, and it’s now time to go. Sad day.

Aren’t the same laws assigning fault to the company that hosts the information still in place? Maybe Elon’s goal is to just tie up any legal challenges in red tape with a green bucket of money?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.