Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Are people really that biased against Musk? because I fail to see how any of this is Elon's fault as many are claiming to be because they are saying he did not do proper checks on the company before putting pen to paper.

Feelings about Musk are wide ranging. On the one end, some think he is a snake oil salesman and don't trust a word he says while at the other end, some practically worship him and think he can do no wrong.

The Twitter situation is getting uglier and uglier as Musk continues to attack Twitter and how it has operated. Right-wing activist group Project Veritas has released Twitter employee conversations/interviews (allegedly) exposing the company's liberal bias, not believing in free speech, dislike of Musk, and more. Newsweek and other news organizations are reporting that an audit of Joe Biden's Twitter account shows nearly half of the followers are fake/spam accounts.

Unless Twitter can come forward and address these issues and show that their SEC filings were truthful and accurate, they could face a long investigation and numerous shareholder and advertiser lawsuits. Worst case scenario, it could send Twitter into bankruptcy.

Twitter is currently trading about 18% below where it was a week ago but still at the upper end of where it had been in March prior to Musk's buyout offer.

Where things go from here remains to be seen but I think Musk is enjoying the extra attention.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaymc

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Are people really that biased against Musk? because I fail to see how any of this is Elon's fault as many are claiming to be because they are saying he did not do proper checks on the company before putting pen to paper. My answer to that would be why should he? Twitter had to submit filings to the SEC regarding how much the company is worth. Companies are not allowed to lie to the SEC because they can be fined if found to do hence why filings to the SEC are supposed to be honest and accurate. Therefore, if a company is not allowed to lie or hide things from the SEC, why on earth would Musk carry out his own checks on the company knowing that information supplied to the SEC has to be truthful and accurate.

Twitter submitted their filings to the SEC, the companies value was then given and Musk who would have beileved that Twitter would have given the SEC truthful and accurate information about the company signed on the dotted line. Then a few days later rumblings start appearing in the tech press that Twitter may not have been truthful with regards to the percentage of spam/fake accounts the company has on it's books. Twitter is not allowed to lie to the SEC so why are the tech press pouring doubts on the companies statement that it only has 5% or less spam/fake accounts on it's books.

Depending on which tech press website you read, critics are saying that they believe Twitters actual percentage of spam/fake accounts is much much higher than the 5% that Twitter filed with the SEC.

Far too many times someone has purchased something at face value only to find they were duped and what they purchased was no where near the value they were told. Then the person is derided in the media for not checking properly on what they were purchasing. There are doubts surfacing about the accuracy of the filings Twitter gave to the SEC. Many in the media now saying Musk is looking for a cheaper deal or that he is looking for a way out. Is the media basically saying that Musk is not allowed to investigate if the filings to the SEC are accurate?

If you take the name "Elon Musk" out of the picture and look at the actions on both sides, this pause while verifying a shaky <5% claim looks normal.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
If CEO's like that really existed why do we have so many rules and regulations surrounding business.
thoughtful caring honest CEO's are a rare bird. Very rare.

Most CEOs follow the rules just like most citizens follow laws.

But this guy Elon….his close billionaire friends….their ego now is too much and they abuse power. They want to smash up the rule book to make themselves have a level of power and freedom to commit each and every crime possible.

They are helping the enemies of democracy. They enjoy doing so. Maybe they were promised something.

Anyway

1652904049783.png

Last edited:

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2021
Uh what? Even though I don't like Elon Musk, I'll have to call you out on this one. He heads up several companies, some he founded, and some that have been quite successful.

and?

i suggest you educate yourself with the history of FSD.

• Disagree

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Elon Musk is having a bad day

======
The S&P 500 booted electric vehicle maker Tesla from its ESG Index as part of an annual update to the list. Meanwhile, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon and even oil and gas multinational Exxon Mobil were still included on the list.

The S&P 500 ESG Index uses environmental, social and governance data to rank and effectively recommend companies to investors. Its criteria include hundreds of data points per company that pertain to the way businesses affect the planet and treat stakeholders beyond shareholders — including customers, employees, vendors, partners and neighbors.

Changes to the index took effect on May 2, and a spokesperson for the index explained why they were made in a blog post published Wednesday.

It said that Tesla’s “lack of a low-carbon strategy” and “codes of business conduct,” along with racism and poor working conditions reported at Tesla’s factory in Fremont, California, affected the score. Tesla’s handling of an investigation by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration also weighed on its score.

While Tesla’s stated mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy, in February this year it settled with the Environmental Protection Agency after years of Clean Air Act violations and neglecting to track its own emissions. Tesla ranked 22nd on last year’s Toxic 100 Air Polluters Index, compiled annually by U-Mass Amherst Political Economy Research Institute — worse than Exxon Mobil, which came in 26th. (The index uses data from 2019, the most recently available.)

In Tesla’s first-quarter filing the company also disclosed it is being investigated for its handling of waste in the state of California, and that it had to pay a fine in Germany for failures to meet “take back” obligations in the country for spent batteries.

Reactions: robotica

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
It's funny that people actually believe a word that Elon says. It's all a manipulation game to him.
Actually you need to look elsewhere instead of focusing on Musk, why? because who were the ones that started it all? yes, the tech media. It was them that wrote articles saying that the filings to the SEC about Twitters spam/fake accounts could be widly inaccurate and in every article you will notice that the media keep refereing to their sources as 'researchers'.

Musk then put's a tweet out saying the buyout is on hold and everyone starts having a go at Musk. Are you one of those people who are saying that Musk is not allowed to investigate the claims the tech media are making and that he should just shut up and pay?

Or are you one of these people who don't actually look into the issue properly and just want to find something to have a go at Musk about?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Actually you need to look elsewhere instead of focusing on Musk, why? because who were the ones that started it all? yes, the tech media. It was them that wrote articles saying that the filings to the SEC about Twitters spam/fake accounts could be widly inaccurate and in every article you will notice that the media keep refereing to their sources as 'researchers'.

Musk then put's a tweet out saying the buyout is on hold and everyone starts having a go at Musk. Are you one of those people who are saying that Musk is not allowed to investigate the claims the tech media are making and that he should just shut up and pay?

Or are you one of these people who don't actually look into the issue properly and just want to find something to have a go at Musk about?
Why would I look elsewhere when it comes to my opinion that Musk is completely full of sh*t? It's all a manipulation for profit game to him. I am one of those people that doesn't buy into his nonsense, yes that's accurate haha.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Why would I look elsewhere when it comes to my opinion that Musk is completely full of sh*t? It's all a manipulation for profit game to him. I am one of those people that doesn't buy into his nonsense, yes that's accurate haha.
And where does your opinion of the man come? yes the media, the media who manipulate the thoughts and opinions of the readers. Do you know Musk personally? if yes then ok you can make judgements about him based on person knowledge, but if you do not know him personally then please leave off with the person attacks on the man based on media articles from journalists who also do not know the man personally.

Your one of those people who buys in to the crap that the media print.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
And where does your opinion of the man come? yes the media, the media who manipulate the thoughts and opinions of the readers. Do you know Musk personally? if yes then ok you can make judgements about him based on person knowledge, but if you do not know him personally then please leave off with the person attacks on the man based on media articles from journalists who also do not know the man personally.

Your one of those people who buys in to the crap that the media print.
My opinion of him is based solely on his garbage tweets. You can learn a lot about an individual by reading what they say. Maybe he’s trying to blow the Twitter deal AND be removed as the CEO of Tesla? Pulling that off would be the most impressive thing about him.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
He is losing it..

This kind of posting is just....wtf are you doing dude?

View attachment 2006910
It’s called a joke. Are people not allowed to make a joke on the internet? He’s literally making himself in this meme. Is elon forbidden from sharing memes?

Seems like you’re just mad and fuming over his every tweet. (Again, your probably on his Twitter more than Elon-lovers, it’s like android people who come to apple forums to complain about apple)

If you don’t like it, move on. It’s telling when you occupy your time writing about him and screenshot his tweets.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
How to be unpopular

The policy is completely at odds with that of the other tech company Musk is attempting to buy, Twitter (TWTR), which has previously announced employees can continue to work from home "forever" if they prefer. "Wherever you feel most productive and creative is where you will work and that includes working from home full-time forever," CEO Parag Agrawal wrote in a note to Twitter's nearly 100,000 employees in March, just before Musk's interest in owning the social media platform was disclosed.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
How to be unpopular

While I am one of many working from home and my job can be effectively performed that way, there are many businesses that cannot. I don't see a car mfg facility as a "work from home" type of business.

Still, I would wait for confirmation from Tesla and/or Elon before taking this at face value.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
How to be unpopular

How to not research.

The email is for executives, who all make well over $1 Million/year, they can afford to go into the office 40 hours a week. Unless you think someone making over 1 million should be working less than hourly wage workers...

But in general though, for all employees, people should strive toward in-person colab it's just more productive and Elon is right. Anyone angry about this is likely a lazy employee

Last edited:
Reactions: jaymc and dk001

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
The email is for executives, who all make well over $1 Million/year, they can afford to go into the office 40 hours a week. Unless you think someone making over 1 million should be working less than hourly wage workers...

The email may have been sent to executives but appears to be meant to trickle down to and apply to other "office" workers, the vast majority of which make far less than $1 million/year. I assume something similar will also apply to SpaceX, The Boring Company, etc.

• Disagree

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
The email may have been sent to executives but appears to be meant to trickle down to and apply to other "office" workers, the vast majority of which make far less than $1 million/year. I assume something similar will also apply to SpaceX, The Boring Company, etc.
I am not assuming anything or making predictions. All I see is an email sent to executives with no mention of other employees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.