Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011

All those people saying Musk was making up the bot issue to get out of the deal will be eating crow I guess.
Elon has had twitter on the ropes since he announced the takeover bid.

There was no reason for any of the Twitter executives to anticipate that a whale would pop our of thin air with a huge offer to buy them, never mind a whale who seems mid-process of diversifying and realizing (at near peak prices) some of his massive but volatile holdings. Twitter has been caught totally flat footed and are out gunned.

That Elon sold all his houses (to minimize potential state tax liabilities, I suspect) and sold in November (vs. tax advantage his sale by deferring his sale to the next year, so not an overall tax minimization strategy) suggests to me that Twitter was a vehicle more than a target where every outcome has Elon in a personally better position than where he started, where the bot issue was a possible lever and where billions of dollars are just anticipated estimation errors on such a massive move.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.