Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
As far as I know it's not possible, unless you were able to totally disassemble the machine, find the monitor input cable and create your own pinout on the end, for plugging in to a computer. Sounds like a lot of work to me, and working around CRT monitors is very dangerous. High voltage+ a vacuum=bad.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Why, though?

Is the motherboard shot? What type of monitor, for another computer, or a video/VCR type thing?

There is no input on an eMac for a video signal, so you could either

1) run the eMac as a Mac and use a USB-TV converter for slow, jerky and low resolution response, or

2) use VNC or a variant to run another machine from the eMac for slow, jerky and somewhat higher resolution response, or

3) Destroy the eMac and somehow bring out the monitor connection to the outside to pipe a SVGA signal into the monitor - will involve hacking the electronics and a finite chance of electrocuting yourself, or

4) just spend $50 - 120 on a used or new 17" CRT, or $200 - 300 on a 19" flat panel monitor and abandon the whole insane idea.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
CanadaRAM said:
Why, though?

Is the motherboard shot? What type of monitor, for another computer, or a video/VCR type thing?

There is no input on an eMac for a video signal, so you could either

1) run the eMac as a Mac and use a USB-TV converter for slow, jerky and low resolution response, or

2) use VNC or a variant to run another machine from the eMac for slow, jerky and somewhat higher resolution response, or

3) Destroy the eMac and somehow bring out the monitor connection to the outside to pipe a SVGA signal into the monitor - will involve hacking the electronics and a finite chance of electrocuting yourself, or

4) just spend $50 - 120 on a used or new 17" CRT, or $200 - 300 on a 19" flat panel monitor and abandon the whole insane idea.

Well I plan on getting a macbook and would like to be able to use my emac's screen if I need the space at some point. If there was a simple solution, why not? Owell, guess I'll just get a cheap monitor. Thanks for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.