Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
My father got an Emac for (very basic) video editing, and the fan is loud. Not really loud for lab use, but loud for an appartment. You don't want this in your bedroom. Therefore:

1. Get an iMac.

2. Don't go for a model without Firewire ports.

Alternatively, get an Emac, install a temperature aware fan, maybe a quieter one, and find a way to power down the CRT when you don't need it. (It should account for most of the heat produced.)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by pianojoe
My father got an Emac for (very basic) video editing, and the fan is loud. Not really loud for lab use, but loud for an appartment. You don't want this in your bedroom. Therefore:

1. Get an iMac.

2. Don't go for a model without Firewire ports.

Alternatively, get an Emac, install a temperature aware fan, maybe a quieter one, and find a way to power down the CRT when you don't need it. (It should account for most of the heat produced.)

The CRT is powered down if you put the display to sleep using the settings in the energy control pane. I'm surprised that it's isn't already a temp controlled fan.

mim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Originally posted by MacBandit
The CRT is powered down if you put the display to sleep using the settings in the energy control pane. I'm surprised that it's isn't already a temp controlled fan.

The fan is under the crt. I thought it probably cools the G4 (and other bits under the monitor).

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Originally posted by MacBandit
They truly are and I would have one right now just for a second machine if I could pick up a modern one for $1000. Honestly they could sell LCD iMac without the LCD for less then $1000 if you think about the price of the screen and that little dome thing would be great though it wouldn't be upgradeable like the Cube.
Upgradeable like the cube? Sorry, I have one (got quite a deal from another member here) and they're really not that upgradable. There are no PCI slots. The only thing you can upgrade internally is the graphics card, or the hard drive and CPU, with a lot of work. I'd imagine that it would be a similar amount of work to do the same to the iMac dome.

mim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Originally posted by LimeLite
Upgradeable like the cube? Sorry, I have one (got quite a deal from another member here) and they're really not that upgradable. There are no PCI slots. The only thing you can upgrade internally is the graphics card, or the hard drive and CPU, with a lot of work. I'd imagine that it would be a similar amount of work to do the same to the iMac dome.

And when you get down to it, what more is there than the CPU, graphics card, and HD?

Perfect compromise for me. I think I've used a PCI slot twice in my life - and that was to add sound & a NIC.

MacBandit

macrumors 604

Well it's quite difficult to get to the cpu or optical drive on an LCD iMac and also you can't upgrade the iMac video card because of the special size constraints. Where as the Cube can take a Ti4600 Nvidia. Also there are a lot of CPU upgrades for it. Honestly it is by far more upgradeable then any iMac.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
I stand (mostly) corrected. But in comptuer terms, whenever I've heard about upgradeability, and expandability, PCI slots are a must. In addition, the Hard Drive on the cube can only be upgraded to 128GB. Past that, you need an external solution. As for the video card, there are only a few that fit without quite a bit of moving of parts. I'm not knocing the cube, I love it, and it's serving my purpose for it perfectly. And also keep in mind that I'm not saying that it is less upgradeable than an iMac. I'm saying that potentially, it wouldn't be any, or at leasy *much* more upgradeable than an iMac like sphere that was without a display. I'm sure if Apple were to make a displayless iMac, it would be significantly different than the iMac with the display. (Without a display on top of it, I'm sure the enclosure could be designed to open up with considerably more ease)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
.....I'm sure if Apple were to make a displayless iMac, it would be significantly different than the iMac with the display. (Without a display on top of it, I'm sure the enclosure could be designed to open up with considerably more ease)

Agreed though the cheap and easy way to produce it would be to simply take the screen off and slightly modify the housing to hide the hole where the mount would have been.

If Apple were to design an all new headless system I think it should be a pancake make ala LCIII but should be made to stand on edge so it could hide behind an Apple LCD display.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
iMacs are virtualy silent. eMacs are very quiet. Read last months MacAddict that compares the two. Surprisingly, feature for feature the eMac wins ... it just weighs 1400 pounds dry, not including the shipping styro.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Les Kern
iMacs are virtualy silent. eMacs are very quiet. Read last months MacAddict that compares the two. Surprisingly, feature for feature the eMac wins ... it just weighs 1400 pounds dry, not including the shipping styro.

Actually it wasn't feature for feature it won. It actually won the benchmark speed tests against the iMac even though it has the old system architecture without DDR ram. The only hypothesis they had was that the eMac had a faster hard drive but they weren't able to find out and didn't want to tear it apart to find out the model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.