Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Hi all, in the last couple months I've noticed the fan in my eMac clanking around, as if perhaps the bearing is going out on it. It runs 24/7, so it's no surprise to me that the fan would be wearing out this far down the road. I just hate to think of what would happen were it to give out while I was away at work. :eek:

So, I'd like to replace it. Problem is, I am notorious for opening up a Mac, and breaking something while trying to fix something else. I don't recall how easy/difficult it is to get into an eMac, as frankly, I've never done it for fear of really screwing something up. Are there any guides or walkthroughs showing how difficult this might be? I would also need to locate a replacement, and the old standby iFixIt seems to have neither a tutorial nor a part for this endeavor. Anyone done this before, or can point me in the right direction? Any help is much appreciated. :)

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Its easy to take apart.

The allen screws around the outside all come out, pull bucket off a little but be careful as the power button cord is attached, unplug it and do what you need to do.

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
Hi all, in the last couple months I've noticed the fan in my eMac clanking around, as if perhaps the bearing is going out on it. It runs 24/7, so it's no surprise to me that the fan would be wearing out this far down the road. I just hate to think of what would happen were it to give out while I was away at work. :eek:

So, I'd like to replace it. Problem is, I am notorious for opening up a Mac, and breaking something while trying to fix something else. I don't recall how easy/difficult it is to get into an eMac, as frankly, I've never done it for fear of really screwing something up. Are there any guides or walkthroughs showing how difficult this might be? I would also need to locate a replacement, and the old standby iFixIt seems to have neither a tutorial nor a part for this endeavor. Anyone done this before, or can point me in the right direction? Any help is much appreciated. :)
I might have a replacement fan. I'd have to look when I get home this evening. Which generation is your eMac?

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Yeah thats a nice eMac there. Its not too hard, its not fiddly. You might be able to grease the bearings.

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
Why are you so nasty? I meant that in a friendly way. Seems like you're very cynical.
The way you prefaced your post led me to think you were being sarcastic. Like you were saying, "Hey dude, if you'd look harder, you'd find the answer. The machine specs are obviously in her signature." Clearly, I was in the wrong. I apologize.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Gah! Where has the time gone? Sorry it's taken me so long to respond!

That certainly should help! Thank you very much. :)

My eMac is indeed the last generation as previously mentioned. Would eBay or somewhere similar be a good place to find a replacement fan? Or what about greasing the bearings as someone said earlier? If all else fails, do you think it would be worth it to buy a non-working eMac for parts?

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
Gah! Where has the time gone? Sorry it's taken me so long to respond!

That certainly should help! Thank you very much. :)

My eMac is indeed the last generation as previously mentioned. Would eBay or somewhere similar be a good place to find a replacement fan? Or what about greasing the bearings as someone said earlier? If all else fails, do you think it would be worth it to buy a non-working eMac for parts?
Found this auction (not mine) for a new fan: https://www.ebay.com/itm/251411608425

I might have a spare if you're interested. I'd let you have it for way less than that auction price, but it would be a used pull. You can also try contacting Herb Johnson at retrotechnology.com to see if he has any eMac parts available.

You can attempt to lubricate the fan. I've had good results using a couple drops of 3-In-One oil to pacify a noisy fan on my PMG5's video card. YMMV.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Gee, it only took me about 6 months after making this thread to purchase a replacement fan, and another four months after that to actually get around to installing it. Do I know how to procrastinate or what? :D

But, I am very happy to report the surgery was a success and I now have my best (inanimate) friend back! :)

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Gee, it only took me about 6 months after making this thread to purchase a replacement fan, and another four months after that to actually get around to installing it. Do I know how to procrastinate or what? :D

But, I am very happy to report the surgery was a success and I now have my best (inanimate) friend back! :)

I hope those razor-sharp edges of the Faraday cage didn't cut your fingers up like they did mine - and I was being careful. Hope I don't have to do another eMac - definitely not a particularly pleasant experience.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
The eMac is really easy to take apart and you could replace the Fan with a 80mm one. I have the temperature controlled 80mm Arctic one in my 1ghz and now it stays cool and quiet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.