Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
Heya. I recently got my hands on one of the very last eMacs ever made, the 1.42 GHz 2005 model. Unfortunately, while it bonged when I turned it on, and the CRT made the static noises of life, it showed nothing on the display, so I had thought it was dead. However, I heard hard drive noises and the speaker bonked at me when I plugged in a keyboard (a foreign one, to trigger what would be the keyboard detection dialog).

Knowing this, I managed to reconfigure the eMac blind using VoiceOver enough to enable screen sharing to connect from my other machine. This is where I thought things go wrong: There is nothing in the System Profiler in the Graphics/Displays setting (where it should say Radeon 9600, or close to it), and the resolution was capped at 1024x768. Shown below is the System Profiler (Amagi), with another System Profiler from my PowerBook G4 (Enterprise) to compare against.

Picture_1.png

I perused Google for a long time looking for any potential answers, but I couldn't find any. Is it dead?

Doq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
Update.

I concluded that the only fix for this is a logic board replacement. So, I found the only logic board on eBay and bombed on it. It arrived and I put it in, only for it to not power on. Having that happen, I put it down for a while-- more than two weeks, even, until last weekend when I had a lightbulb strike me in the head. The power board is a separate daughterboard from the main logic board, what if it was just the power board that was dead? I had another power board that I knew worked, on the logic board with the dead GPU.

I switched the power boards around, and it worked flawlessly. I now have a working eMac. It wasn't the 1.42 GHz monster that I bought originally, but for me it was one step better: it was now a 1 GHz 2003 model.

The last, and most powerful, eMac capable of running OS 9.

IMG_20210418_160201.jpg

Not bad for six bucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.