Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Some are speculating that eMacs may be updated due to their listing under "Previous Generation eMacs" in Apple's Special Deals page. But this small change alone does not appear to be convincing evidence of updates.

That being said, an anonymous unconfirmed report previously sent to MacRumors had claimed that eMacs would be discontinued in January with the introduction of a new iMac. The validity of this anonymous report is completely unknown and only published as possible color to the above speculation.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
The eMacs are due for an update, and not just an under-the-hood features update. The low-end of the Apple's line needs a major jolt of excitement, whether this comes in the form of a headless box, or some new cool all-in-one form factor.

nslyax

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2002
Holland, MI
As I recall, eMacs have been there since they were updated in like November. Unless something has changed that I am missing?

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I Love The eMac!

I hope Apple keeps the eMac line. The eMac is the continuation of the popular all-in-one Macintosh product. Sure, the iMac is all-in-one too - and maybe it IS time to say goodbye to the CRT-based machines in favor of LCD screen technology.

But update the eMac with the G5 chipset in the 2-3 gHz range, bump up the bus speed to at least 1 gHz, upgrade to USB 2, put in a bigger hard drive and the eMac will be still be a great machine for a few more years yet.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Price change changed models...

Apple apparently decided that the eMacs got new 'models' when they changed the prices. Even though the 'old' 1GHz Combo drive eMac (at $999) seems like it should be identical to the 'new' 1GHz Combo drive eMac (at $799,) it's not.

The old ones came with Jaguar pre-loaded, and could still boot into OS 9. The new ones come with Panther pre-loaded, and can *NOT* boot into OS 9.

I'm guessing that that 'previous model' one is one of the 'old' Jaguar models. Even though it has the same specs as the current model, it's listed by Apple as separate. (The 'old' 1GHz Combo drive had a model number of M8950, the new one has a model number of M9252.)

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
The most important fact about the eMac:
the CRT is loved by schools and parents because they don't break so easily if abused by children
The same is true for the all-in-one setup and the build in speakers with the strong plastic grill. I don't think it's wise to leave out a CRT based Mac. It would be good though if they made a headless box with about the same price. There is demand for such a thing, some people just don't like the all-in-one concept or the big tower.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by backspinner
The most important fact about the eMac: The same is true for the all-in-one setup and the build in speakers with the strong plastic grill. I don't think it's wise to leave out a CRT based Mac. It would be good though if they made a headless box with about the same price. There is demand for such a thing, some people just don't like the all-in-one concept or the big tower.
Apple should definitely keep the eMac around. It shouldn't be the only low-end solution but for the K-12 market, the eMac works like a dream. And no, it doesn't need a 3 ghz G5 chip to work. If anything, I'd like to see it get the rumored 750vx and keep the costs down (assuming that the 750vx is cheaper than a G4 or G5).

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I dont see why Apple couldnt take out that crt and put in a fixed lcd and keep about the same price point and continue with the ahem, moto bumps, you know what i mean. But imac needs a lot of help if its supposed to be the flagship of the ahem, consumer line. The G4 in any configuration just does not compete. any benchmark will show that hence you dont see anymore benches mentioning g4. Lets hope for a new imac and emac line.

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
I dont see why Apple couldnt take out that crt and put in a fixed lcd and keep about the same price point...
1. crt's are far more durable in combination with (little) children
2. crt's are still a lot cheaper
3. crt's have far better viewing angle, wich is good if used in e.g. a classroom

TomSmithMacEd

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2003
Fargo, ND
Yeah, remember everyone eMac means education. This isn't suppose to be a consumer machine. I don't really know what they could do to it besides make it faster... I like the 3 desktop models too, it is a lot better then the day of iMac or Powermac.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Price change changed models...

Originally posted by ehurtley
I'm guessing that that 'previous model' one is one of the 'old' Jaguar models. Even though it has the same specs as the current model, it's listed by Apple as separate. (The 'old' 1GHz Combo drive had a model number of M8950, the new one has a model number of M9252.)

Absolutely correct.

The "Previous Generation eMac" is prior to the last (1GHz min) update. The one item listed under refurbished was the top-end model previously, and sold for, IIRC, $1299. Which is why the refurb is $1099. Not sure if there is any physical difference between this and the current top-end eMac (new for $1099) ...

A few weeks ago, this same "previous gen eMac" was listed alongside an 800MHz previous gen eMac. All that's changed is that the 800MHz variant has sold out.

[Edit:]

Actually, the model number hasn't changed much. Put the refurb prev-gen and the current gen eMac on an order and the only model number change is "/A" to "/B" at the end of the model number:

Old eMac
New eMac

eMac 1GHzG4/256MB/80GB/SuperDrive/E/56K
M8951LL/A
Same bus.day
Remove
$1,099.00
$1,099.00

Accessory Kit
SuperDrive
56K internal modem
80GB Ultra ATA drive
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
256MB SDRAM - 1 DIMM
Built in display

eMac 1GHz/256SD/80G/Super/56K
M8951LL/B
Same bus.day
Remove
$1,099.00
$1,099.00

Accessory Kit
SuperDrive
56K internal modem
80GB Ultra ATA drive
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
256MB SDRAM - 1 DIMM
Built in display

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I would have to agree with some previous posters, that a headless emac and cheap 15" monitor could be a really good plan, seeing as mac users don't have much of a monitor choice, only the powermacs allow you to pick you monitor, the imacs and emacs lock you into one monitor. I think that a separate approach could be good. Maybe offer a bundle of a monitor and computer as well.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Maybe this could be the the rumors we have been hearing about the iMac, befor the eMac came out their was talk of a 17'iMac CRT
this could happen again

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Re: I Love The eMac!

Originally posted by Jetson
I hope Apple keeps the eMac line.

Me too, unless it's replacement can satify my needs. Our leases are up so I have to purchase 600K of Macs, including a planned 150-200 eMacs. The eMac's fit in nicely due to its form factor, power and PRICE. I just want a "low end" all-in-one. I doubt Apple will kill it becasue of it's education value. They can't afford to cut schools off from the price point. It'll kill them.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
I agree with some who have said keep the emac line. I would hate to see a cheap all in one go away. For many education buyers the all in one CRT provides more than just ease with children (compared to LCD's), it also fits what most of them do every day - surf the web, and do SIMPLE, non-CPU task heavy programs. Educators, me included, would hate to buy an iMac when all I really need is a computer to surf, check email and do word processing. I do not need a G5 for that. I don't have young children but sometimes college students can be worse. I would hate to have to start worrying about LCDs.

The emac fits where it is supposed to. It would be hard to get and all in one w/LCD at a sub 1k price range. LCD prices are on the rise due to demand, a 15" LCD was going for $200-$300 (expected to rise) compared to $100 for a CRT. Not to mention you would be dropping down from a 17" CRT to a 15" LCD.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
i agree on headless imac...

Apple needs a headless iMac.
sure the eMac is nice entry class Apple computer but it isnt well suited for a "switcher". I could make an easy list of 5-10 switcher if they only could keep their own CRT display without spending extra money for a display they don't need.

for myself if this is available in January 2005
*headless Mac with G5(single 1,6ghz would be enough, won't say no to 2,0 ghz ;-)
*changeable graphicscard in agp slot
*1 x free PCI Slot
*more than 4 USB ports ( printer,scanner,keyboard,webcam,+spare)
*place for an extra hard drive (easy to upgrade)
*easy to upgrade RAM

for max. 1000 EURO ( inkluding taxes, approx. 1200 $ at the moment ) im gonna get one or perhaps even two

the "e" in eMac doesnt really count as education here in europe because for a school it is much more expensive to buy them never heard of a school using them here in austria)

PS: sorry for bad english: native german speaking

natey

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2003

But update the eMac with the G5 chipset in the 2-3 gHz range, bump up the bus speed to at least 1 gHz, upgrade to USB 2, put in a bigger hard drive and the eMac will be still be a great machine for a few more years yet.
You're hilarious. Not everything has to have a G5 in it. It wouldn't be an eMac if it had a G5 in it (at least not now). What you're describing is an iMac, so just get an iMac.

Neither will the iMac or the headless iMac (which I think is totally stupid and inconceivable) will get a G5 until the PowerBooks get them. Apple has to differentiate the iBooks and the PowerBooks. Both lines are too close now. I think it'll be their priority. Go G5 with the Pro line first, later the consumer line.

And Apple's "concept" has always been all-in-one computers for the consumer line. So unless Apple change their concept, you won't see a headless iMac.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Apples concept for a all in one for consumers was good 4 years ago, but what it has become is not only do we want consumers to have a all in one we want consumers to have a all in one that has a slow outdated cpu, lowest current videochip being made, no upgrade path and is a lousey gaming machine.This is acceptable for emac but total crap for 2 thousand dollar imac and a headless imac would be terrific since there are many many people who have posted they would like one. all you i want g4's forever people sound like Apple or Motorola Trolls. Why the hell anyone would want Apple to stay with the company that has nearly killed them is simply stupid, naive or ignorant on Apple and Motorolas history.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003

HAHA - thanks for the laugh. Let me guess, you're one of these people who believes a G5 has to be in every machine, right? :rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
all you i want g4's forever people sound like Apple or Motorola Trolls.

I agree that anyone making such a claim is rather ignorant - why would anyone want to stay with G4s forever? But could you please back up this claim with some posts of people saying specifically that? - That they want G4s forever? I would be curious to see such posts, as I would give them a talking to myself! Sure, current G4 machines will be used by people for years to come, no doubt doing everything that their user requires just fine, and some people will never need the power of a G5, but for someone to say they never want to see the G5 progress and that we should stay with G4 forever is very silly - please back up your claim, I'd be interested to see the posts!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.