Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Hi, asking for an older relative with limited vision:

Is there an email app that has larger icons, larger fonts and is easier to use? This relative can see, but not well. I turned on voice for her so the screen is read to her, but finding buttons is really difficult in the Mac email client. And the buttons keep getting smaller, it seems.

Thanks!

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Maybe use the Zoom functionality? System Preferences > Accessibility > Zoom to enable.

To zoom in, OPT CMD =, out OPT CMD

This will zoom in or out a few times based on how many times the keystrokes are repeated.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Thank you. We tried that but zooming in on small icons is hard to do when it's hard to pick out the icons.

Maybe use the Zoom functionality? System Preferences > Accessibility > Zoom to enable.

To zoom in, OPT CMD =, out OPT CMD

This will zoom in or out a few times based on how many times the keystrokes are repeated.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
If you have MS Office installed, Outlook has both larger icons, and in the Preferences > Fonts you can adjust the view to display larger fonts in both the folder views and the email display and compose windows.

Outlook can configure accounts for most email services.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Toronto
The provider's webmail... No, even Apple Mail is easier. And it used to have larger icons.

Apple Mail is good with default larger fonts when composing, but people send mail with smaller fonts. At least it's good for the computer to read those aloud.

If the "New Message" icon was easier to find, that would help.

Have you really explored all the options in System Preferences>Accessibility>Zoom?

Have you tried the provider's webmail on a zoomed-in page?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have Accessibility set up to, when I hold down the Control and Option keys, I get the configurable (size and amount of zoom) magnifying popup that follows the mouse. You've tried this?

IMG_4120.JPG

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Problem is they don't know where to zoom in because the Send button in Apple mail is tiny and grey, but also they would have a problem zooming in.

A nice blue circle would be great. They could click on that.

I have Accessibility set up to, when I hold down the Control and Option keys, I get the configurable (size and amount of zoom) magnifying popup that follows the mouse. You've tried this?

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
You can't find it because Apple is 'Anti Elderly' If they weren't then then you would also be able to expend 'Error Messages'.

Sorry Apple, I know you could care less. I can;t recall\SysOS5-6, but I was younger then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.