Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
This weekend I've set up my KeyLime Clamshell to run dual-boot Tiger and OS9.
Installation of Tiger had been a snap by just making a SuperDuper! copy of my Graphite-Clamshell.
My journey to MacOS9 just started a few weeks ago, and I was quite amazed how snappy the system responds even with Classic-emulation.
I like emulations and virtualization. But now I wanted the real think, after I was completely unlucky to set up SheepShaver properly.
There has been some software I've collected by auctions/local sellers for a few bucks including Office2001, Adobe Acrobat 5, PowerPoint7 and VirtualPC 3, 5, 6 and 7(VPC3 came with Win98, VPC5/6/7 with XPpro)
There's also a bunch of nice stuff at Macintosh Garden: Acrobat 5, Acrobat Reader, Apple Works 6, Classilla, Eudora 6.1, ClarisMail, Claris HomePage Creator, Print-To-PDF Extension, Fax-Client.
Connecting to the Internet works fine with LAN-cable. I didn't set up that first Apple U.F.O. Airport-station yet due to the low encryption but maybe I'll try that later.
And I'm really exited about checking if and up to what level FTP, File Access, Remote Desktop and VNC will work.
The VirtualPC versions can be installed side-by-side but only one version will run at a time.
VPC3/Win98 runs really fast and smooth (I was able to install/run the first C&C and IfanView, one of my favorite daily helpers, when it comes to pictures, scanning, the one-click "restauration" of old photos etc. ). VPC6/WinXPpro is really slow, but I'd like to check if it's possible to run Lancom-AvancedVPNClient + WinXP-RDP-Client, since that is the last version to connect with WinServer2008 at my office (if it will work, my neXT step will be the installation of OS9/VPC6/WinXP to a faster iBookG4 1,3GHz.)
To make that long story short - the only thing I'm currently missing is an email-Client to work despite the latest changings of most internet-providers. At http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2603.0 (from 2015) I've found the information, that the email-option of Classilla does still work. Another response to this thread had been about a Microsoft client to work (no further information, maybe Entourage from Office2001?).
Would be nice to hear more about Your experience about MacOS9, Email-Clients and favorite applications/essentials.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I probably tried all the email clients I could still find for Mac OS 9. None of them work properly with the modern email providers because of one reason: they don't support the latest encryption technologies. You'll have to use an email provider which still allows unencrypted (unsecured) connections.

The Clasilla email client is probably your best bet because it's the most modern one but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Last time I tried it could receive Office 365 emails but it couldn't send them.

Reactions: bobesch

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
For email you could just use Google.com. They still host the basic version of the website "For Slower Connections" but it's essentially Google from 2003 and runs pretty much as you'd expect a 2003 era website to work on a 2003 era computer.

Reactions: lepidotós

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I haven't been able to make iCloud mail work in Mulberry. It can't authenticate to the server, probably because Mulberry doesn't seem to support TLS. :(

saxfun

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2016
Germany
iCloud? You'll never get a working iCloud account with OS9. Mulberry is only working for modern POP and IMAP accounts, that is incredibly modern!
For iCloud on OSX (PPC) you only have the option to use SOHO Organizer. Or some Fluid Apps.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
iCloud? You'll never get a working iCloud account with OS9. Mulberry is only working for modern POP and IMAP accounts, that is incredibly modern!
For iCloud on OSX (PPC) you only have the option to use SOHO Organizer. Or some Fluid Apps.

iCloud mail is IMAP. It works fine on Leopard/PPC in Apple Mail. The problem is Classic email clients are not compatible with the newest encryption standards (TLS). Gmail is less restrictive, it still allows SSLv3 connections.

PS: iCloud mail also works on Tiger/PPC.

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Many thanks for your help about MacOS9 :) - this weekend there's spare time to check all the options MacOS9 may offer. Fortunately "The Missing Manual" arrived just in time...

As for PPC Tiger/Leopard I also simply use the Mail-App for iCloud. Even that odd combination of "mail.mac.com" (IMAP) and "smtp.mail.me.com" (SMTP) does work "out of the box". Hope this will be future-proof (at least until my EOL ;)) For iCal/Contacts "SOHO Organzier" seems to be the only choice. I was very happy to get a hint about this App here in the PPC-Forum. :rolleyes:

OS9 Missing Manual.JPG

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Ugh, that bright green lime iBook is making me jealous. :p
I was lucky to find it. FW466MHz/128GB HDD.:rolleyes:

... and it also runs Tiger, when I'm upset to fiddle around with OS9 (which is the case just now)

Trying to get a working email-connection for my .mac/.me/.icloud accound with Entourage (with latest 2005-update), MullberryMail or Classilla all failed (Classilla finally froze the OS).

On the other hand I was happy to connect my iBookG4/Leopard to OS9 via AFP-FileSharing to get access to files on the OS9 machine.
Obviously the only way to get OS9 connected to an OSX environment since AFP changed radically after OSX 10.5. (thanks to Intell who clearly made the point in another MR-posting!)
Trying to setup Leopard-Server in a VM with Fusion I'm curious about, if VM-Leopard will be able to connect to OS9 too

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Ha! Swearing on Classilla and OS9 seems to help a lot!
iCloud-email works - Eureka!!!
The full imap-access. I'm stunned.
Now Classilla's web/email and file-sharing PPC-Leopard/Tiger => OS9 allows basic connectivity to OS9.
With Screen/File-Sharing to PPC-Leopard/Tiger also OSX 10.11 is able to get access to OS9. (Or just by email attachments)

neXT: looking for VNC/ScreenSharing and FTP options

saxfun

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2016
Germany
Ha! Swearing on Classilla and OS9 seems to help a lot!
iCloud-email works - Eureka!!!
The full imap-access. I'm stunned.
Now Classilla's web/email and file-sharing PPC-Leopard/Tiger => OS9 allows basic connectivity to OS9.
With Screen/File-Sharing to PPC-Leopard/Tiger also OSX 10.11 is able to get access to OS9. (Or just by email attachments)

neXT: looking for VNC/ScreenSharing and FTP options

Nice that you Share your findings. I'm runnning OSX Server 3 with Mavericks 24/7 and sharing files with the included ftp server, but only in my LAN. Ftp is too vulnerable.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
So this is the future, where 'El Capitan' is able to connect to OS9 via FileSharing
using VMwareFusion with Leopard-Server (Finder/GoTo/ConnectWithServer: afp://.../)
BackToOS9.jpg

Solution for webDAV: Goliath 1.01 http://www.webdav.org/goliath/#desc

Solution for FTP: Fetch 4.0.3 http://fetchsoftworks.com/fetch/download/
I could get FTP access from OS9 to PPC/Leopard, but yet haven't been able to connect to the VirtualMachine running Leopard-Server. No connection to OSX10.11.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.