Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faloude

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
I've logged all my devices out of iCloud since I don't want to use it anymore for privacy concerns but I have an @me (shoutout to early adopters) email account (and thus also automatically an @iCloud.com) which I'm trying to configure into Mac Mail. I retrieved the IMAP / SMTP data from this page on the Apple website but I'm getting authentication errors.

Anyone else had trouble logging in and / or has solved this? Is it possible at all?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think if you want to use Mail you will need to access that email using iCloud.

Try using those IMAP settings you linked with a third party email client.

Faloude

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
I think if you want to use Mail you will need to access that email using iCloud.

I find that strange. Once you log into iCloud you agree to a whole set of conditions that are maybe unnecessary for mail. Ugh

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Well it is hosted by Apple.

When you send an email from any email account you're agreeing to a whole set of conditions that probably can't even be defined.

Is there another email service that has less onerous conditions than iCloud? If so…use it!

Faloude

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
@BrianBaughn logging into iCloud comes with a lot of conditions that are unnecessary for e-mail use. For example linking a device with IMEI and serial number to my account. I find it strange to be forced to use iCloud for email access.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I'm guessing you probably have 2FA enabled on your Apple ID. If so, you need to use an app-specific password instead. I just tried this out myself, and it worked.

Faloude

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
I'm guessing you probably have 2FA enabled on your Apple ID. If so, you need to use an app-specific password instead. I just tried this out myself, and it worked.

Holy smokes, this worked. How did you even come up with the idea?

Last edited:

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Holy smokes, this worked. How did you even come up with the idea?
Glad you got it working. This is just typical procedure for when apps don't support 2FA...need to generate a password to use instead. I've had to do this in the past for my Microsoft/Outlook account as well. Yes, the Mail app is built by Apple, but adding accounts manually by using the 'Other' option does not support 2FA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.