Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I recently linked the Mail app to my work (Outlook Exchange) account. I have Contacts set to only display contacts from my Gmail account (I don't want all my work contacts showing up in there).

But now, when I compose a new message in the Messages app and start typing a name in the "To:" field, it pulls all these suggestions from random email addresses to which I have sent emails at some point in the past from my work account. It's hard to filter through them all to find the suggestions from my Contacts -- which is all it used to display, and all I want it to display.

Does anyone know how to revert to the previous behavior? Thanks.

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Don't think you can.

The work around is to tap the + button and then you will get the Contacts app and its filtered view.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
For the record — I think I figured this out. Even though my Contacts app was set not to display my work email contacts, they were still synched (along with Mail), under Accounts & Passwords. I turned them off / deleted from phone, and things seem to work normally again.

I was afraid that de-syncing the contacts would mean they wouldn’t auto-suggest in the Email app itself, but that seems to still work, too.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I was afraid that de-syncing the contacts would mean they wouldn’t auto-suggest in the Email app itself, but that seems to still work, too.

Correct. Previously used addresses in Mail are separate from contacts. Eg. If I'm on an email chain with numerous people, many not in my Contacts, if I reply to the email, all those outsiders will remain in Mail's Previous Recipients list. That too can be edited: tap the info icon next to the name, and there will be a "Remove" at upper-right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.