Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
For some reason, I don't receive email notifications for every new post in watched threads.

I do receive emails for some posts, but it seems to be totally random.

I checked my preferences - and I do seem to have all relevant email options checked.

Am I missing something - or is it a known issue?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You will only receive an email for the first post made in a given watched thread since your last visit, and you have to visit the thread again to clear your unread posts in it before you will get any more emails/alerts about new posts.

It's designed so you don't get tens or hundreds of emails about posts made by others in a single thread between your visits.

Does that line up with what you're seeing?

zevrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
You will only receive an email for the first post made in a given watched thread since your last visit, and you have to visit the thread again to clear your unread posts in it before you will get any more emails/alerts about new posts.

It's designed so you don't get tens or hundreds of emails about posts made by others in a single thread between your visits.

Ok that explains it then.

I understand that it must be helpful for people who watch multiple ultra-active threads.

I'm only watching a few threads. So ideally I'd prefer to receive an email for each new post (as otherwise I simply end up missing new posts and replies since I don't go to the forums website regularly to refresh my watched threads).

If you can consider to add such an option, that would be great (for example, a checkbox "Always send email notifications on new posts").

Thanks,
Leo

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.