Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I want to create an email signature with the companies logo etc.
What is the best email signature that you have seen, something to suggest as a great design?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Well, will the emails be rich text or HTML? If HTML, there's a lot more you can do.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The best email signature is a simple one. You cannot guarantee how the recipient's email client is going to parse the signature, so it is best to keep it simple. You can have the logo in there, but the signature shouldn't just be an image. It should use fonts that come with Windows and MacOS. The basics.
Why shouldn’t it all be just an image? Isn’t it safer if the text was in the image?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
And to add to that, using an image is really difficult to make fully responsive. I mean you want it to look good on desktop clients, phone clients, some people use CRM software where they see you email. They all render differently. And then we don't even discuss the background settings of their mail client as if someone is in dark mode and you have a bright white image background they'll just find you annoying.

Best to keep it simple and align with the standards, thus provide both a html and plain text version. Embed the CSS but also be sensitive to responsive design and that people can have different backgrounds.

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
And to add to that, using an image is really difficult to make fully responsive. I mean you want it to look good on desktop clients, phone clients, some people use CRM software where they see you email. They all render differently. And then we don't even discuss the background settings of their mail client as if someone is in dark mode and you have a bright white image background they'll just find you annoying.

Best to keep it simple and align with the standards, thus provide both a html and plain text version. Embed the CSS but also be sensitive to responsive design and that people can have different backgrounds.
Yup – dark mode would be ruined with an image. Also, using an image alone to me feels like a spam email. I get a lot of spam emails where the “unsubscribe” button is an image and most likely not going to unsubscribe me LOL.

Reactions: zoran and cyb3rdud3

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
It gonna be used in Outlook and Yahoo email
Outlook for Web, Outlook for Mac or Outlook on Windows? You mean using Yahoo email in a Browser?

Before diving into programming HTML for mail clients, check out the abilities of the software used in your workflow. Then decide what effort makes sense for you. A professional mail signature for Outlook for Windows consists of 3 files: TXT, RTF and HTML. Most other mail clients can't use such a complex signature (by default) for sending.

If deciding for a complex HTML signature, I recommend using linked images hosted on a web server and if possible using an email framework like MJML or Zurb Foundation for Emails for programming.

Probably you'll end up using the signature editor of your mail client and are tied to its capabilities. Then just keep it simple, preferably use just text for the design.

Here is a quite good showcase of what is possible with HTML and Text Only mail signatures from Digitech Branding.

• Love
Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Best to keep it simple and align with the standards, thus provide both a html and plain text version. Embed the CSS but also be sensitive to responsive design and that people can have different background
Good approaches… might you have an example to make it more straight?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Good approaches… might you have an example to make it more straight?
Why not google? So many well established sources on doing this as this is part of the email sending/receiving standard? And of course there are difference between outlook and hotmail depending on which mail client or server you use to integrate with on how to do that. Just google as only you know the specifics of what it is that you user and so far haven't shared them ;)

Reactions: zoran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.