Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
I am currently using Mail.app and I get this:

Attachments

• screenshot1.png
    screenshot1.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 97

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
The most obvious thing is to open mail.app, select preferences, then the general tab and see what the default email application is. If it's not mail.app, or not the correct version of mail.app (2.0.5 as of 10.4.3), then that might be your problem.

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Repaired permissions earlier today.

If I check prefs of Mail, it says 'no applications found'. I change it to Mail.app, close prefs, then open prefs, we are back to 'no applications found'.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Looks like your mail preference file might be corrupted. Try to move or rename ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist. Then start Mail, set up your account information again and see if it works. (All your mails should not be affected, still residing in ~/Linbary/Mail/, and magically reappear once you've set up Mail again, though you might want to back up that folder before you start messing about... ;)).

Edit: Or just delete the pref file, like MJ said... :)

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Looks like your mail preference file might be corrupted. Try to move or rename ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist. Then start Mail, set up your account information again and see if it works. (All your mails should not be affected, still residing in ~/Linbary/Mail/, and magically reappear once you've set up Mail again, though you might want to back up that folder before you start messing about... ;)).

Edit: Or just delete the pref file, like MJ said... :)

Well, here is what I did...before I go deleting stuff. I backed up this machine last night, by tarring certain dirs and such. Mail was one of them. I then did a fresh install and just copied over Mail.

I would rather not have to redo all my account stuff. Was this not the way to go about this? Anyway else, now knowing what I have done?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
opusthe2nd said:
I would rather not have to redo all my account stuff. Was this not the way to go about this? Anyway else, now knowing what I have done?
Ok, when you access the Mail preferences, you don't get Mail.app up in the Default Email Reader menu, right? But do you, in that menu, get to Select... an app (see attachment)? If so you should be able to navigate to /Applications/Mail and add Mail.app "manually".

But if that doesn't "stick" then it sounds like a bad preference file, and then I'm afraid your not getting around replacing it with a new one (and you have to re-type your accounts information) or you could try to replace it with the old file (if you backed up all of your home folder, ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist should be in your backup...)

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 49

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Well, I have done everything suggested above. No deal.

I tried my old plist file, redid all the info, imported old mail, on and on.

This is what I get when I open prefs:

Better idea, tell me where to change this in a config file. Its BSD, right, so I should be able to edit it using VI??

When I change it to Mail.app, its fine, til I open the prefs again.

Attachments

• screenshot2.png
    screenshot2.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 61

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
If I set it to mail.app and change any other option in that window, I am fine. But if I change the sound for mail, it changes back to no applications found.

FWIW

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Just to clear things up: have you tried it with completely new preferences (not backed up ones)? Also, hopefully this isn't being done whilst Mail is running. :)

That Mail sound thing is really weird. :confused:

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Sure have. Just for the record, I am far from a novice at this stuff.....but I am at OS X.

This is what I just did....format and reinstall....again. I am NOT going to do the 10.4.3 update. I am pretty sure that would be the culprit. As it stands now, I just got it running and check Mail and everything is fine. I copied over my Mail dir as well. All looks good for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.