Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I’m on eSIM with T-Mobile and ran into the same error. I stuck my old SIM back into the phone and was able to proceed through the carrier portion of the pre-approval just fine. Might be worth a try for others here, if they still have their old SIMs. I think the app is just looking for the primary IMEI to be active since that’s likely what is attached to the IUP.

re2st

macrumors regular
May 2, 2007
San Jose, CA
I’m on eSIM with T-Mobile and ran into the same error. I stuck my old SIM back into the phone and was able to proceed through the carrier portion of the pre-approval just fine. Might be worth a try for others here, if they still have their old SIMs. I think the app is just looking for the primary IMEI to be active since that’s likely what is attached to the IUP.
THIS! I haven't removed my physical (original) SIM card yet (sitting there in 'inactive' state). I just 'activated' it again, and it seems to go through!

illmatic41

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012

Awesome, it worked. Knew it had to be the eSIM.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
And just like last year, they sent it to the email that USED to be my Apple ID. Last year they blamed Citizens. This year they wanted to transfer me to the App Store to fix the email address. The App Store for an email to order an iPhone? Right....

brainguy

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Thanks all for posting your pre-approval updates! As an earlier poster mentioned, I got my pre-approval done using my SO’s phone and logged in as my iTunes account. All went fine but I did not find the pre-approval message in my phone.

When I saw the above message to turn on physical SIM, I just did that and I can now see my pre-approval. My physical SIM is an international SIM and it worked without any issues.

Wanted to share my experience and thanks again to all the posters here! Looking forward to sleeping in, and not wake up at an ungodly 245am for this year’s iPhone pre-order!!

Agroup

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2016
Manhattan
And I get 3% with my Apple Card. It’s stupid to buy an iPhone right out, IMHO.
[doublepost=1568164018][/doublepost]
Did you see the posts above? Do you have eSIM activated?
How would I know if I have it activated? I’ve never even used eSIM

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I don't see how e sim is the problem. I put my phone number and last 4 SSN And just says can't connect to the Tmobile.

I don't even have my SIM card anymore. I would have to go get one

wi1dstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
It’s most likely the carrier’s authentication site crashing. They were probably unprepared for the mass number of verification requests coming in at once. I would try closing the app and trying again later. You have until preorders open to get pre-approved, and getting pre-approved today vs any other time before pre-orders open doesn’t improve or effect your chances of successfully preordering.

re2st

macrumors regular
May 2, 2007
San Jose, CA
That's the 11 Pro, not the 11
Oops.. I meant to say, since the triple-camera is only available on the Pro, I’d imagine people currently on Xs would want to upgrade to the Pro, not the “base” 11.
[doublepost=1568168705][/doublepost]
It’s most likely the carrier’s authentication site crashing. They were probably unprepared for the mass number of verification requests coming in at once. I would try closing the app and trying again later. You have until preorders open to get pre-approved, and getting pre-approved today vs any other time before pre-orders open doesn’t improve or effect your chances of successfully preordering.
Or try the trick by doing it using someone else’s phone. I’m afraid it does have something to do with eSIM. I tried multiple times earlier with no luck. As soon as I turn my physical SIM back on, I went through right away.

It’s better to know you’re pre-approved now instead of having to fumble with this problem during the actual preordering time.

wi1dstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Oops.. I meant to say, since the triple-camera is only available on the Pro, I’d imagine people currently on Xs would want to upgrade to the Pro, not the “base” 11.
[doublepost=1568168705][/doublepost]
Or try the trick by doing it using someone else’s phone. I’m afraid it does have something to do with eSIM. I tried multiple times earlier with no luck. As soon as I turn my physical SIM back on, I went through right away.

It’s better to know you’re pre-approved now instead of having to fumble with this problem during the actual preordering time.

Plenty of time between right now and when pre-orders open.

Andrewperdomo123

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
Question:
I am preapproved it means Everythting is good for Friday just to checkout or they can still decline the application?

7racer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
I got to that screen too and it gives me the error "We're sorry. This feature is momentarily unavailable. Please try again later." and "We can't connect to your wireless carrier at this time. Please try again later. We're sorry for the inconvenience." Wondering if once you enter the info, it does some handshake with the sim to verify the network.

same problem here. I don't have someone in the house with another phone, any other tricks besides borrowing someone else's phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.