Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi guys,

My email address is ****@Mac.com, however, when I send emails they go as ****@iCloud.com. I wasn't aware of this until this morning when there was some major confusion with a company who couldn't find my details due to the email address discrepancy.

How can I send emails as ****@mac.com?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
You can't. .Mac (the service) was killed off years ago and was replaced with iCloud.com. All email addresses using Mac.com and Me.com are actually just alias' for iCloud.com. They're still valid as Apple IDs, but the email will always use the iCloud servers and address.

Some email apps allow you to set a separate "Reply to" address regardless of what server you're using to send the emails. The problem is that while the recipient will see the original email "From" address, even though it replies to the custom "Reply To" address.

Reactions: scouser75

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Login to iCloud.com under Mail and preferences you should be able to choose the default address under composing.

I’ve got iCloud and .me.com and new emails always come from my me.com email address.

In the Mac Mail app under composing you should have a send new messages from drop-down option.

DrSecretan

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
You can't. .Mac (the service) was killed off years ago and was replaced with iCloud.com. All email addresses using Mac.com and Me.com are actually just alias' for iCloud.com. They're still valid as Apple IDs, but the email will always use the iCloud servers and address.

Some email apps allow you to set a separate "Reply to" address regardless of what server you're using to send the emails. The problem is that while the recipient will see the original email "From" address, even though it replies to the custom "Reply To" address.
If you had an @Mac.com or an @me.com address when these services were available then you can continue to send from them, even if new users can't.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I did 😁 I had it from day one when I bought my Mac Pro back in the mid noughties. I've changed the setting on my Mail app to send via my .Mac account now and all working well again.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

MNGR

Contributor
Sep 17, 2019
Login to iCloud.com under Mail and preferences you should be able to choose the default address under composing.

I’ve got iCloud and .me.com and new emails always come from my me.com email address.

In the Mac Mail app under composing you should have a send new messages from drop-down option.
I have .mac (and of course .me, .icloud). All mail and replies show coming from .mac

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I have .mac (and of course .me, .icloud). All mail and replies show coming from .mac
But beware. Every so often, mac.com gets auto changed to me.com.

I had an issue recently where a securiry clearance I was trying to go through asked for my email. I gave my Mac.com and it just wouldn't clear. I was baffled as I only use mac.com. Then a brain wave. Tried me.com and voila!

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
But beware. Every so often, mac.com gets auto changed to me.com.

I had an issue recently where a securiry clearance I was trying to go through asked for my email. I gave my Mac.com and it just wouldn't clear. I was baffled as I only use mac.com. Then a brain wave. Tried me.com and voila!
i get that somewhat often, webforms don't recognize it as a valid email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.