Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Pressing the side button 5 times is probably not what the OP is talking about, and is optional.

Regardless of whether the 5 times setting is on or off, you can dial 911 by simply pressing and holding the power button and either volume button, similar to a screenshot or powering down the phone.

I have never dialed 911 by mistake, but I can certainly see how it could be done inadvertently considering that same button sequence is shared by two other functions.
Exactly. My wife did it by accident before she even had an XR where power off is the same presses. Definitely make sure to turn the auto dialing off anymore.

Reactions: TH55

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yeah, you are. If you don't know what we're talking about, you really should know because you'll be a prime candidate to accidentally trigger an SOS when you're tired, goofing off, drunk, or in the middle of a tense moment when you're not thinking clearly. It's pretty easy to do.

Read @TH55's link to this article from the Verge:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/18/17129440/emergency-sos-iphone-apple-watch-accident

Ok I’m actually aware of this feature. You have to press and hold the trigger buttons for it to kick off. This has never happened to me. I’m not sure what people do but it’s pretty difficult to always trigger it. I can understand a random trigger but always?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The fact that the "off" and the "emergency" functions have the same button combinations is really poor implementation. I haven't done it but I know people who have.

Apparently Apple, during testing of iPhone X, called 911 several times and there was a huge influx of 911 calls when the iPhone X was released.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I’m not sure what people do but it’s pretty difficult to always trigger it.

You can also trigger it by pressing the sleep button five times, but you get 3-5 seconds to cancel it. I've done this once by accident when trying to lower the volume really fast late at night.

Reactions: 5105973

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Nope, it's never happened to anyone I know. Someone need to learn how to use their phone. Not apples fault. Good luck.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
The fact that the "off" and the "emergency" functions have the same button combinations is really poor implementation. I haven't done it but I know people who have.

My number one issue here. The off button is also the same button you use to confirm Apple Pay or trigger an SOS. When I first got my iPhone X, I looked like an idiot everytime I tried to use Apple Pay because it wasn't at all intuitive to double press the "OFF" button when you want to confirm. Had they kept the sleep button on the top, they could have then easily allowed the volume rocker switches to then be the confirm buttons and keep the functions separate.

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
I don't see what the issue is? You can literally turn all of that off. In the Emergency SOS settings you can deactivate "Call with Side Button" which turns off the 5-button click. You can also turn off "Auto Call" which prohibits your phone from automatically making the call and you will need to manually swipe the option for the call to be made. You can also turn off the "Countdown Sound" option which gets rid of that siren.

If you turn all features off (like I have) then the only thing that'll happen when you hold the volume + Side Button will be the options for Power, Medical ID and Emergency SOS which all require you to manually swipe.
Problem solved.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Nope, it's never happened to anyone I know. Someone need to learn how to use their phone. Not apples fault. Good luck.
"People need to learn how to use their phones" is not an acceptable argument from Apple's point of view. iPhone and all iOS devices are designed to be usable by all people. Usability is solely the responsibility of Apple.
[doublepost=1566852342][/doublepost]
I don't see what the issue is? You can literally turn all of that off. In the Emergency SOS settings you can deactivate "Call with Side Button" which turns off the 5-button click. You can also turn off "Auto Call" which prohibits your phone from automatically making the call and you will need to manually swipe the option for the call to be made. You can also turn off the "Countdown Sound" option which gets rid of that siren.

If you turn all features off (like I have) then the only thing that'll happen when you hold the volume + Side Button will be the options for Power, Medical ID and Emergency SOS which all require you to manually swipe.
Problem solved.
You shouldn't have to disable a worthwhile feature because it isn't properly usable.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
"People need to learn how to use their phones" is not an acceptable argument from Apple's point of view. iPhone and all iOS devices are designed to be usable by all people.
Usability is solely the responsibility of Apple.

Naw. You and only you are responsible for learning how to properly use your device. If you can't figure it out, maybe it's not the device for you. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
"People need to learn how to use their phones" is not an acceptable argument from Apple's point of view. iPhone and all iOS devices are designed to be usable by all people. Usability is solely the responsibility of Apple.
[doublepost=1566852342][/doublepost]
You shouldn't have to disable a worthwhile feature because it isn't properly usable.

It seems like the solution to the OPs rant, especially considering that it's been stated multiple times that the feature can't be disabled. OP stated it's a stupid feature, then they should just turn it off.

It is a worthwhile feature but not everyone wants or uses it. I'd rather have it turned off but still easily accessible via holding 2 buttons in case i ever need SOS quickly. Solves my problem. No accidental calls, no loud siren. Easy peasy.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No. Apple is responsible for preventing people from accidentally calling the police. Full stop.

If it can happen accidentally to the average person, it is Apple's responsibility to address it, especially with the very high occurrence rate.
[doublepost=1566853445][/doublepost]
It seems like the solution to the OPs rant, especially considering that it's been stated multiple times that the feature can't be disabled. OP stated it's a stupid feature, then they should just turn it off.

It is a worthwhile feature but not everyone wants or uses it. I'd rather have it turned off but still easily accessible via holding 2 buttons in case i ever need SOS quickly. Solves my problem. No accidental calls, no loud siren. Easy peasy.
That's fine if you prefer not to use it. That's not the point. Apple should be able to implement a better system where you can use it if you want and fewer people will call 9-1-1.

Reactions: TH55 and smirking

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I accidentally triggered SOS on my previous Samsung S9 , but never on the Iphone. Luckily it was only set to call my brother and send a photo. Since it was accidentally triggered it sent a blurry image. lol, my brother thought something was actually wrong.
But the way it has to be done on the Iphone I'm not seeing that could accidentally happen.

Reactions: simplynando

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I accidentally triggered SOS on my previous Samsung S9 , but never on the Iphone. Luckily it was only set to call my brother and send a photo. Since it was accidentally triggered it sent a blurry image. lol, my brother thought something was actually wrong.
But the way it has to be done on the Iphone I'm not seeing that could accidentally happen.
It usually happens when a user tries to turn off their phone but holds on too long.

My dad's an MD and he had it happen once on iPhone. It seems like it happens mostly to people just getting used to the device.

Reactions: TH55

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
No. Apple is responsible for preventing people from accidentally calling the police. Full stop.

If it can happen accidentally to the average person, it is Apple's responsibility to address it, especially with the very high occurrence rate.
[doublepost=1566853445][/doublepost]
That's fine if you prefer not to use it. That's not the point. Apple should be able to implement a better system where you can use it if you want and fewer people will call 9-1-1.

Your point doesn't seem to go with what I'm saying. My point was addressing the several comments that said the feature is stupid and cannot be turned off when, in fact, it can. You seem to be arguing for a better implementation of the feature, which I personally still don't see as an issue. Everyone's usage of their device is different which is why there are added options to tweak the feature to something that suits your individual needs. Even with every feature disabled, i still have super easy access to SOS via holding 2 buttons for 2 seconds + a quick swipe.

How is that hard or problematic?

Reactions: AustinIllini

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Ok I’m actually aware of this feature. You have to press and hold the trigger buttons for it to kick off. This has never happened to me. I’m not sure what people do but it’s pretty difficult to always trigger it. I can understand a random trigger but always?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Who said always? One time is too many to accidentally call the cops. I’ve hit it 3 times, so have many others. I’d say the feature is unbelievably idiotic for that to happen. You are in the minority.
[doublepost=1566867137][/doublepost]
Your point doesn't seem to go with what I'm saying. My point was addressing the several comments that said the feature is stupid and cannot be turned off when, in fact, it can. You seem to be arguing for a better implementation of the feature, which I personally still don't see as an issue. Everyone's usage of their device is different which is why there are added options to tweak the feature to something that suits your individual needs. Even with every feature disabled, i still have super easy access to SOS via holding 2 buttons for 2 seconds + a quick swipe.

How is that hard or problematic?
Never mind the fact that you have to manually disable a flawed feature to avoid calling the cops, even then you can still easily call the cops by swiping, which you can do accidentally with no problem. So no, it can’t be turned off, and yes it is absolutely an idiotic and flawed feature.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
That’s just crazy talk - what would the OP have to complain about, then?
So you think I went through the trouble of registering on a random message board and taking the time to type thoughtful, well researched posts simply to spite a company? Maybe Apple isn’t the perfect company you think it is. Maybe there’s always room for improvement and if you’re leading the pack you should be held to a higher standard.

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
Who said always? One time is too many to accidentally call the cops. I’ve hit it 3 times, so have many others. I’d say the feature is unbelievably idiotic for that to happen. You are in the minority.
[doublepost=1566867137][/doublepost]
Never mind the fact that you have to manually disable a flawed feature to avoid calling the cops, even then you can still easily call the cops by swiping, which you can do accidentally with no problem. So no, it can’t be turned off, and yes it is absolutely an idiotic and flawed feature.

It can disabled. If you turn all of that off and then still make the mistake of calling the cops by pressing + holding 2 buttons and then sliding a specific slider (as opposed to the other 2 sliders + the cancel button present on the screen) "with no problem" then it seems more like user error than a software flaw.

Also, how are you getting the logic that someone is in the "minority" just because they DON'T have the same problem as you? Just because you found a few articles about the same issue that are few years old doesn't mean 60% of all global iPhone users have this problem making people without the problem "a minority". In fact, no one I know has had this issue, including myself. Not even my 70 year old grandmother who is now on her 2nd iPhone.

So you think I went through the trouble of registering on a random message board and taking the time to type thoughtful, well researched posts simply to spite a company? Maybe Apple isn’t the perfect company you think it is. Maybe there’s always room for improvement and if you’re leading the pack you should be held to a higher standard.

Your account was made in 2011 and your rank is higher so it doesn't seem like you "went through the trouble" at all. You also only linked one news article that's over a year old, that's not really "well researched".

Reactions: akash.nu and ericwn

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It can disabled. If you turn all of that off and then still make the mistake of calling the cops by pressing + holding 2 buttons and then sliding a specific slider (as opposed to the other 2 sliders + the cancel button present on the screen) "with no problem" then it seems more like user error than a software flaw.

Also, how are you getting the logic that someone is in the "minority" just because they DON'T have the same problem as you? Just because you found a few articles about the same issue that are few years old doesn't mean 60% of all global iPhone users have this problem making people without the problem "a minority". In fact, no one I know has had this issue, including myself. Not even my 70 year old grandmother who is now on her 2nd iPhone.

Your account was made in 2011 and your rank is higher so it doesn't seem like you "went through the trouble" at all. You also only linked one news article that's over a year old, that's not really "well researched".

And I wouldn’t still be here after 8 years just to troll.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
happened to me with a first gen apple watch about 3 years ago. was at my desk in my nyc office trying to remove the strap. was on a call with my headset so I didn't hear anything coming from the watch as a warning. all of a sudden I hear "911 whats your emergency" and I panicked. had to explain that everything was okay and I literally begged them to not send authorities to my giant corporate office. what an embarrassment that wouldve been.

believe me, it happens more than you think...
Yeah I’ve dialed emergency once when trying to change straps on my Apple Watch. If I remember correctly I was able to cancel or hang up before it went through. Pretty scary. It’s hard to grip the watch without pushing something.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It's a stupid feature until you need it. If you're in dangerous situation and you want to call the police without taking your phone out, it's very easy to do secretly.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It's a stupid feature until you need it. If you're in dangerous situation and you want to call the police without taking your phone out, it's very easy to do secretly.
How many times have you called 911 in your entire life? Where do you live, Detroit??

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
How many times have you called 911 in your entire life? Where do you live, Detroit??
That’s not the point. It’s not about how often you’d use the feature, it’s the peace of mind it’s there. I live in Scarsdale, New York, probably one of the safest towns in the country. There’s only been one murder here in the past 40 years. But a few months ago, there was a break-in robbery on my street. It could’ve been my house, and it would’ve been a good case to use Emergency SOS in.

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005

Apparently Apple, during testing of iPhone X, called 911 several times and there was a huge influx of 911 calls when the iPhone X was released.

Wouldn’t surprise.

The number of butt dialed calls have also increased ever since they removed ‘SWIPE TO UNLOCK” - which brilliant in terms of an unlock, yet it was removed by the same moron who thought the Home Button isn’t needed.

Let’s hope there’s more house cleaning at Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.