Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
I cannot confirm if it is only my messages app and I do not know if I am the only one with this issue. I also do not know if it is an ios 7 issue or just an iPhone 5S issue. But whenever I go to use an emoji it crashes the app all together. Yesterday night I restarted my phone and it fixed it for a little. Then it started to act up again. So then I deleted me and my girlfriends chat and it was still going on. It is still currently going on which is why I made it to here. Anybody else experiencing this issue, or am I the only one? Any solutions, PLEASE!

Thanks in advanced guys,

--Nick

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Never experienced this. Are you using an emoji app or just activating the emoji keyboard through the settings?

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
Never experienced this. Are you using an emoji app or just activating the emoji keyboard through the settings?

I've had emojis since my iphone 4. I have not re downloaded them or downloaded anything new. I've kept them since my i4 due to restoring my phone. If I can remember correctly since it had been years and I downloaded their app way back years ago to get them haha. And then obviously as everyone knows you use the keyboard. The globe button etc.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I've had emojis since my iphone 4. I have not re downloaded them or downloaded anything new. I've kept them since my i4 due to restoring my phone. If I can remember correctly since it had been years and I downloaded their app way back years ago to get them haha. And then obviously as everyone knows you use the keyboard. The globe button etc.

What he's asking is are you using the built IN emoji keyboard that comes with iOS or did you download an emoji APP (iOS didnt have the built in emoji keyboard before)

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
What he's asking is are you using the built IN emoji keyboard that comes with iOS or did you download an emoji APP (iOS didnt have the built in emoji keyboard before)

Like I stated up above, I used the app via my iPhone 4, so the app..

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I would delete new app if still there as it may be causing the issues. Remove the keyboard on settings. Restart the phone and then just install the emoji keyboard from settings. That is what I did with my 2 i5s and 2 i4 phones and have no issues on any of them.

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
I would delete new app if still there as it may be causing the issues. Remove the keyboard on settings. Restart the phone and then just install the emoji keyboard from settings. That is what I did with my 2 i5s and 2 i4 phones and have no issues on any of them.

I removed the keyboard and rebooted. I will try your method and let you know the outcome bro!

Update: Rebooted activated the keyboard again and still having the issue.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Do you still have the app installed?

Did you do a hard reboot or just a restart?

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
Do you still have the app installed?

Did you do a hard reboot or just a restart?

Please note I DID NOT have an app at all. Just to clarify, when i had my 4 I downloaded the app, got the keyboard, and deleted the app. It was one of those. So I have not had the app for years on my phone. I held down the power button and restarted my phone.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I would redo the steps, remove keyboard, them hard reset (power + home button) until it restarts then add the keyboard back. Sorry for the confusion as you said you had the app but never said it was ever deleted so hence the confusion. You might also try a reset a settings from the settings menu as this fixes lots of problems as well.

Boshie

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2014
Hi everyone.

Same thing has happened with me. I have read the whole feed, deleted the emoji keyboard and done menu reset about 3 times, with turning on the emoji keyboard and the keyboard still keeps crashing in all my apps. Anyone else have another suggestion? cheers

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi everyone.

Same thing has happened with me. I have read the whole feed, deleted the emoji keyboard and done menu reset about 3 times, with turning on the emoji keyboard and the keyboard still keeps crashing in all my apps. Anyone else have another suggestion? cheers
If none of that worked, it might be worth trying a restore as that's really the only thing beyond what you already tried.

melanieann13

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
My wife's iPhone had the same issue.

Go to settings > General > Reset. Click "Reset Keyboard Dictionary".

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I have had this issue forever with my iPhone and I love the emojis. I have been to Apple store twice about it, they do factory restore and everything and as soon as I loaded my stuff back from iCloud, it would crash again as soon as I touched an emoji. That keyboard reset fixed it. So glad I googled this!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.