Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have an M1 iMac and used to play Star Wars empire at war.

I know it’s an old game but now it won’t run, it’s still available in Mac App Store though.

I thought there were inbuilt converters etc to allow older stuff to work?

I don’t have parallels or whatever, and don’t want it either really, I bought it on the Mac App Store when I had my older iMac.

Has anyone got it working, or know what I can do. It obviously hasn’t been updated for years and expect never will.

Thanks

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

I know it’s an old game but now it won’t run, it’s still available in Mac App Store though.

I don’t have parallels or whatever, and don’t want it either really, I bought it on the Mac App Store when I had my older iMac.

Has anyone got it working, or know what I can do. It obviously hasn’t been updated for years and expect never will.

Thanks
32-bit app?

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

Thanks

Seems to be playable with PlayonMac and the solution is free if you have the Windows files. You can also test it with Crossover 14 days trial which is cheaper than Parallells. It doesn't work with Crossover 22 but 22.1 added support for 32-bit games so it could work. You still need the Win files.

Last edited:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

Thanks

CrossOver and Parallels are pretty much your only option to run Empire At War on an M1 Mac since the Mac version is old and no longer works on modern macOS because Apple doesn't support anything. There's a reason gamedevs left the Mac.

I know that's not the answer you wanna hear but it's the only option. You wanna run games on Mac, you're gonna need Parallels and CrossOver.

Alternatively, just get a Steam Deck and play Empire at War on that.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Not sure if I should thank you or curse you! Getting bored with Risen 2, will have to give this a try!

You can do both.

8aV4pK7nd-vbJ0aF.jpg

Reactions: txa1265
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.