Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
After the latest update, 10.15 Beta (19A526h), I have an issue I hope other people have had and solved...

In my LaunchPad I didn't loose any programs, I did however "Gain" an empty folder, and I can't get rid of it.

I can rename it, but if I put an app into it, the app immediately disappears; it is not the empty folder, or anywhere else.

How the heck do I get rid of that empty folder?

And please do not suggest that I reset LaunchPad. I literally have hundreds of applications, all categorised and in appropriate folders...

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Using XCode I looked in that file, and it is not that file that has the LaunchPad folders etc. in it. It is some of it, butt here has to be more...

Reactions: adrianlondon

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
hmmm - I had to do a restore from Time Machine yesterday, and a few problems have now been resolved. My Mac boots really really fast, and I no longer have a folder in my Trash I can't empty.

However, I still have a folder in LaunchPad I can't use or get rid of...

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
hmmm - I had to do a restore from Time Machine yesterday, and a few problems have now been resolved. My Mac boots really really fast, and I no longer have a folder in my Trash I can't empty.

However, I still have a folder in LaunchPad I can't use or get rid of...
I have the empty folder too it's called 'Other' and I can't get rid of it and if I drag an app inside the app vanishes until I reboot.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I had this... I held the command key and dragged it down until the dockbar raised, then I dropped it in the trash and it vanished permanently. Maybe it was a fluke but give it a shot and see what happens.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I surely would like to know how you did it, nothing works for me...

I did move the empty folder to another page, and so I only know it is there and of course have the two small dots of the bottom of the screen in Launchpad...

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
After the latest update, 10.15 Beta (19A526h), I have an issue I hope other people have had and solved...

In my LaunchPad I didn't loose any programs, I did however "Gain" an empty folder, and I can't get rid of it.

I can rename it, but if I put an app into it, the app immediately disappears; it is not the empty folder, or anywhere else.

How the heck do I get rid of that empty folder?

And please do not suggest that I reset LaunchPad. I literally have hundreds of applications, all categorised and in appropriate folders...
I had the EXACTLY bug with you, I remember it's beta 2 or 3.
And after next beta the folder didn't go away.

And I reinstalled the OS.

mattiowa

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2006
I found this answer on Apple Stack Exchange and it worked for me: Click and hold any random app until all icons start shaking, then drag the app on the folder, DON'T RELEASE, and drag back into its place. Right after dragging back the empty folder has disappeared.

Expedition

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2004
I found this answer on Apple Stack Exchange and it worked for me: Click and hold any random app until all icons start shaking, then drag the app on the folder, DON'T RELEASE, and drag back into its place. Right after dragging back the empty folder has disappeared.
Worked for me too, thanks for sharing.

Fear12

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
US
This makes zero sense but it worked and got rid of the duplicate folder. Great find!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.