Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use empty for OS X

• Yes!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
But you can empty the Trash through the Finder by pressing Shift + Cmd + Backspace anyway? :confused:

9fiftyfive

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
But you can empty the Trash through the Finder by pressing Shift + Cmd + Backspace anyway? :confused:
True, but it's still a good solution if:
1.) You're not in Finder
2.) You're not good with shortcuts
3.) You use the dock a lot

It was my first AppleScript program, so, yeah, it's definitely pretty basic.

9fiftyfive

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
I really don't see the point of this concept...
An easier (and in some cases) a more efficient way to empty the trash on your Mac. Instead of having to navigate down to the Trash and then select "Empty Trash", you now have multiple alternative ways. It was my first time writing in AppleScript, so it was a simple program to get used to AppleScript.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
But you have to move down to the dock anyway, and you save one click with the mouse.

A global hotkey would make more since IMO, even though I don't see why you need to empty the trash repeatedly.

9fiftyfive

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
But you have to move down to the dock anyway, and you save one click with the mouse.

A global hotkey would make more since IMO, even though I don't see why you need to empty the trash repeatedly.
You can also now empty the trash via Spotlight, which is what I use empty for the most. Also, it depends from user to user, but I empty the trash daily (I work with images and videos, and once they're fully edited, I don't need them anymore).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see no real benefit of this app. Right click the trash to empty it vs. opening an app. Right clicking wins out.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I see two direct benefits for this app...
  1. It has streamlined your personal workflow and made you more efficient
  2. It has given you some valuable experience with AppleScript
Both are positives as I see it
I don't think I have a need for it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't valuable for you (and maybe some others)

9fiftyfive

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
I see no real benefit of this app. Right click the trash to empty it vs. opening an app. Right clicking wins out.
In defense of my app:
1.) 1 click to open the app (assuming it's on your dock) vs 2 clicks to empty the trash (right-click and left-click)
2.) This allows you to empty the trash without the mouse at all, and you can open it via Spotlight. This means you can empty the trash with just typing
3.) With it being an application, you can mount it to the Finder toolbar, so if you work in Finder and delete a bunch of files, you can empty them right away (as seen in the video)

However, if the app isn't for you, that's fine. It was just something that's convenient for me, so I thought I'd share.

9fiftyfive

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
I see two direct benefits for this app...
  1. It has streamlined your personal workflow and made you more efficient
  2. It has given you some valuable experience with AppleScript
Both are positives as I see it
I don't think I have a need for it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't valuable for you (and maybe some others)
Thanks! :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In defense of my app:
I wasn't trying to sound harsh, but as a user, the process of emptying the trash is fairly straight forward and at the very least I feel for me. The need for an app to do what a right click can do is not needed.

9fiftyfive

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
I wasn't trying to sound harsh, but as a user, the process of emptying the trash is fairly straight forward and at the very least I feel for me. The need for an app to do what a right click can do is not needed.
No offense was taken. I understand this isn't for everyone. I do appreciate the feedback, even if it's not in favor of my app.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.