Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjaymuso

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Minus numbers on delete

If you keep checking the available space left on your hard drive it keeps going up so it seems legit. Backups use a lot of memory which takes a while to delete

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
seems like the best way to kill time machine backups is to reformat the disk. takes < 30 seconds, better than waiting 5 hours for the delete to eventually not work...

jimbo101

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
Tvååker, Sweden
Not just me then. Removing Time Machine Backups from a drive that has a bunch of other stuff on it so didn't want to reformat it. Just trying to delete the old Time Machine files and now at -311,183 and counting. Going to leave this running for a while and will come back to it later. Slightly annoying as I would rather be doing something useful than watching the numbers rack up... yawn.

ronhiner

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
yup... using disk utility to erase the time machine drive is the quick and easy fix to this.

I'm on 10.8.5 and it was taking forever to empty the trash, then it went negative... and then i found this thread.

drummerben04

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2014
Looks like this bug is still going strong in 2014

yep surprisingly mine finished at -26,000. The boot.efi is what you will find still in your recycling bin if you decide to delete the time machine backups their. Just hold down the option key when you click empty and you won't get that problem. Worked for me

alsilver

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
Thanks for all your posts. I, too, had a trash that was emptying into negative numbers and didn't know what to do. After reading these posts, I decided to leave my computer on all night and see if the problem resolved after enough time passed. This morning, although initially the TRASH FOLDER looked as if it were still full, I "emptied" it once more and the bin emptied in a second. All I needed was patience, which these posts gave me.

Reactions: ZirusBlackheart

ZirusBlackheart

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
I'm trying to sort this prob too but i now have this error.

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -22).

This is doing it via CMD-Right Click (Secure Empty Trash).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thx loads for any help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.