Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dinky2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
So I am on Sierra since yesterday. When creating a new clone using Carbon Copy Cloner, the target disk was full so I had to clean up some stuff. I deleted some directories from CCC's Safety Net folder and emptied the trash. At least, that is what I was trying to do....
The total amount of file to be deleted added up to almost 500.000. To reach the point where it had finally figured that out, it was already 15 minutes or so later. Then followed the actual erasure process. That is even taking longer and it's still going on in a painfully slow way.
As far as I know, secure emptying of the trash no longer exists in Sierra, so emptying the trash should be a matter of seconds or maybe minutes, surely ? So what is going on ? Is Sierra still writing nulls or what ?

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
If you are deleting 500,000 items that can take a while. It can take even longer on an external drive. I would recommend if you are concerned that you use something like SMART Utility to verify the drive isn't failing. It might also be worth running a tool like Disk Warrior on the drive as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.