Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerPlayG5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
In my computer chair
Hi,
So a couple of years ago, I was scrolling through youtube, searching for ppc stuff on my old g5 mac, when I found this channel
This channel boasts a Intel mac app "Emulator" that seems to run similar to Wine.
Of course the channel has been dead for five years now but it's strange to me why no one's tried this yet.
Before I get the easy reply, yes I know that intel emulation on ppc is a harder task to accomplish and it's much easier
to just buy an intel mac/pc but I know madmen exist that would try this regardless, my question is why isn't this attempted more?

Reactions: vddrnnr and saxfun

PowerPlayG5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
In my computer chair
Hi @PowerPlayG5,

Do you know if the sources are available?

Best regards,
voidRunner
I don't believe so, after scraping through to comments, I've found no indication they supplied the source for their app. With no contact info from this person as well, we have no way of contacting the person either. I hope that maybe this brings some light to this channel considering it's apparently been buried in some time, as well as ask the question why nothing like this has been attempted (aside from the obvious it's easier to buy an intel device rather than emulate/create a compatibility layer).

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
QEMU can directly translate programs from one architecture to another without any emulation when on the same OS (and/or the executable format + ABI is compatible AFAICT), so long as your system has all the matching necessary dynamic libraries.. Meanwhile I didn't know it supported OS X.

While it's doable, and can be handy, it's also worth pointing out that intel application that *do* work this way usually could've been just made powerpc at compile-time and/or as universal binary. So bascially, (closed source) apps that run like this have developers that mostly didn't bother with powerpc builds.

Can be handy, though, and still curious to know it does work on OS X.

Reactions: PowerPlayG5

PowerPlayG5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
In my computer chair
I'm still curious aside from the obvious as to why this is the only documented (and currently the only one I know of) instance where someone tried making a "Reverse Rosetta" if you will. Now I've stated it numerous times already in this thread that I understand with all the frustration of making such a program, it would just be easier for people to get an intel platform but their has to be people who are like me who just want to see it done.

Reactions: netsrot39
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.