Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jprmercado

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Hi, guys!

I've tried to enable aptX on my 13-inch MacBook Pro (mid-2012) using both the Bluetooth Explorer and Terminal apps, but I can't get aptX to show as the codec being used.

Is anyone else experiencing this and does anyone have a fix?

I've read in some posts outside of this forum that [maybe] aptX was disabled in earlier releases of Catalina and [presumably] re-enabled later. I've also read that maybe aptX was renamed (?) to AAC, so even if I'm already on aptX, the system tells me I'm on AAC.

jprmercado

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
OK, so I was able to resolve this myself, and the solution is embarrassingly simple. ?

I'm using the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT, and it has a companion iOS app. I forgot that, using the app, I made the ATH-M50xBT prefer AAC connections.

This model of headphones supports SBC, AAC, and aptX, but the app only lists SBC, AAC, and Auto in the codec settings. I changed the preferred codec from AAC back to Auto on the iOS app, then I reconnected to my MacBook Pro on Catalina. Bluetooth Explorer then confirmed that I was on aptX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.