Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Reset the PRAM (hold CMD-OPT-P-R) before the chime and wait for it to chime a second time, I believe it should work then.

Reactions: ASentientBot

bobmusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2018
Germany
Thanks, I tried that but it didn't seem to work. Mojave is installed on an external SSD. In the end I ran the 10.13.6 Combo Updater on the internal SSD and that brought the AMD Radeon back to live.

mikegasche

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2019
You need to move back the AMD kernel extensions that have been removed from the /System/Library/Extensions folder too! Basically all files that start with AMD*. If you can't find them in the root directory, where they should have been copied for recovery issues, you must get them back from your time machine. Copy them from the time machine app, not from the backup directories in the external time machine drive! Make sure they have the same user and groups settings as the other kernel extensions, recursively, since these files are packages!

Reactions: ASentientBot

Javier's got a Mac proble

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2020
Mexico
You need to move back the AMD kernel extensions that have been removed from the /System/Library/Extensions folder too! Basically all files that start with AMD*. If you can't find them in the root directory, where they should have been copied for recovery issues, you must get them back from your time machine. Copy them from the time machine app, not from the backup directories in the external time machine drive! Make sure they have the same user and groups settings as the other kernel extensions, recursively, since these files are packages!

Can you please help me?, I'm really desperate. Same problem, everything was fine before I followed dosdudes instructions for Mojave install and deactivated the GPU. I actually succesfully installed Mojave, but because of other reasons, after half a year I downgraded again to High Sierra 10.3.6, and the brightness adjust and sleep mode are not working at all. The nvram CMD-OPT-P-R reset hasn't worked, even with the SMC reset. I'm just trying to get my laptop to be the way it was before I followed these instructions, it had np issues with the GPU. SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME:((( id be really grateful. These are the o instrcutions i followed

Attachments

• Disable deicated GPU on Macbook Pro.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 396

whitestonedata

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
Can you please help me?, I'm really desperate. Same problem, everything was fine before I followed dosdudes instructions for Mojave install and deactivated the GPU. I actually succesfully installed Mojave, but because of other reasons, after half a year I downgraded again to High Sierra 10.3.6, and the brightness adjust and sleep mode are not working at all. The nvram CMD-OPT-P-R reset hasn't worked, even with the SMC reset. I'm just trying to get my laptop to be the way it was before I followed these instructions, it had np issues with the GPU. SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME:((( id be really grateful. These are the o instrcutions i followed

This helped me:

Boot with control + s

Then enter this command:
nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%00%00%00%00

Then type exit to reboot.

Info found on this page:
https://gist.github.com/cdleon/ae1542279598fe80f527400cc354a956

mateia

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2021
After the steps below, I'm seeing again both graphics cards in "About This Mac" of my MacBookPro 17" Late 2011, running Catalina Patcher.

1. Shut down the computer. Plug in the power adapter to a power source if it's not already connected.
2. Press Control+Option+Shift+Power keys to reset the SMC
3. Boot and press Control+S immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Then enter this command:
nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%00%00%00%00
4. Then type 'exit' to reboot.
5. Then shut down again the computer.
6. Boot and press and hold the Command+Option+P+R immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

Attachments

• BothGraphicCardsMacbookPro2011.png
    BothGraphicCardsMacbookPro2011.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 2,491
Last edited:

JohnRob152

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2021
Hi, I know this is an old thread but if someone could advise?

I updated my Early 2011 MacBook Pro to Mojave using the instructions at beginning of this thread. It all works well, but my machine won't now go to sleep when the lid is closed. It was one of the notes, so I knew there would be issues in advance, but I've decided I can't live with this.

How can I get the sleep mode to work again? What steps would I need to take?

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.