Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 30, 2016
I would like to start this by saying that I respect Apple's decision to remove the start up sound, because many people have found it to be more of an annoyance, rather than a convenience. Me, how ever, am on the other side of that argument. I am a blind Mac user, who enjoyed having an audible noise to let me know that my system was working fine. I have tried many things, (Terminal commands, automater applications, etc), but none of them have been successful. So, can someone please tell me how to get it back.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, Late 2016, 2.9 Intel Dool I5, 13.3 inch, 512 gig SSD, Mac OS 10.12.3

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Don't think it's possible. At least I haven't seen anyone succeed in doing it, despite some early claims. Does VoiceOver let you know when the computer is successfully booted?

Reactions: Lounge vibes 05

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 30, 2016

I tried this, and it doesn't work
[doublepost=1487373654][/doublepost]
Don't think it's possible. At least I haven't seen anyone succeed in doing it, despite some early claims. Does VoiceOver let you know when the computer is successfully booted?
Your probably right

Reactions: Sanpete

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Of all the changes to the MacBook Pro, I miss the startup chime the most. I never realized how accustom to it I had become.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Y'know I do miss the startup chime, it's something I've been so accustomed to for so long that it just doesn't seem quite right for it not to be there.

Having said that, the damn thing starts so quickly there's not much opportunity to miss it. Even from a cold boot there's barely a couple of seconds between hitting the power button and the log-in screen appearing. So much so that I think the boot time would actually be longer if the chime played. Maybe not, but it just feels that way.

If that's the case and it may well not be, I'll take the way it is over the chime playing. The new MacBook is definitely the fastest boot-up of any system I've had yet and I like me a bit of speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.