Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Wondering if there is a jailbreak tweak where I can use touch ID on touchID enabled apps (such as 1password), and Apple Pay/iTunes Store purchases but not require a passcode/touchID to unlock my device.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a smart cover when Ive got to enter my password/fingerprint everytime.

Solution: SafeHouse Pro
It bypasses the passcode unlock on safe wifi connections

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Kind of defeats the purpose of having a smart cover when Ive got to enter my password/fingerprint everytime.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of those things. The cover is to protect your device from minor physical damage. The password/TouchID are for your security.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I think you misunderstand the purpose of those things. The cover is to protect your device from minor physical damage. The password/TouchID are for your security.

So why would it unlock my device when I open it? Hence smart cover vs regular cover. Or even just a screen protector for that matter would do the trick. The smart cover is just an extra step if TouchID is to be an option

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
It doesn't. Opening the cover just wakes it up. You still have to enter a passcode.

Well no shhhh Sherlock... That's why I'm looking for a tweak to enable Touch ID without a lock/unlock requirement. I want to not have a password on my device, so when I open the Smart Cover on my iPad, it jumps to the home screen, but still be able to use Touch ID for the App Store.

If you don't have a solution, why bother posting? :/ these forums apparently have become less about helping people and more about making snarky remarks for no reason...

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If you don't have a solution, why bother posting? :/ these forums apparently have become less about helping people and more about making snarky remarks for no reason...

I wasn't being snarky. You made a statement that implied a misunderstanding of what the smart cover does. I wanted to correct that--for you and for others. Had you ended your post after the first paragraph I would have stayed away, since I don't jailbreak my devices.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I wasn't being snarky. You made a statement that implied a misunderstanding of what the smart cover does. I wanted to correct that--for you and for others. Had you ended your post after the first paragraph I would have stayed away, since I don't jailbreak my devices.

Yes, you were being a smart ass :confused: the purpose of any cover is for protection, the purpose for the Smart Cover is to wake the device. You picked out one word and overanalyzed it... No one is reading this thread for the purpose of a Smart Cover, it is for Touch ID tweaks. You don't have to comment or correct as no one entering here will be focused on that aspect of the post. If you aren't even jail broken why are you in the jail broken section of the forums?

----------

+1 to you

The cover only shuts off/wakes up the screen to save battery, as stated it does not unlock the device.

And the passcode is a safety valve if the TouchID fails for some reason.

And just to not leave this unanswered, if there is no password, Smart Cover wake = unlock.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
What happens if you set up a passcode, enable TouchID, disable TouchID for iPad Unlock, and then turn the passcode off? Does TouchID still work for 1Password?

Last edited:

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
You could turn off Touch ID for iPhone/iPad unlock in settings. You'll still be required a passcode but it will allow you to set a longer time period before the passcode kicks in.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
What happens if you set up a passcode, enable TouchID, disable TouchID for iPad Unlock, and then turn the passcode off? Does TouchID will work for 1Password?

It does not, when I turn the passcode off, it shuts down all of Touch ID. So when opening 1Password, it only allows for the typed password and not Touch ID. So for Touch ID to work, the password must be enabled.

You could turn off Touch ID for iPhone/iPad unlock in settings. You'll still be required a passcode but it will allow you to set a longer time period before the passcode kicks in.

Turning off Touch ID for iPad unlock still requires the passcode to be in putted on wake. But I don't want there to be any unlock requirement. I want to just flip open the Smart Cover and have it go to the home screen, open 1password, and use Touch ID to open it.

Essentially Id like to have Touch ID enabled without having a device lock

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think you're out of luck, then. Apple wants to encourage users to have passcode with TouchID enabled for security. They aren't going to promote features that let your keep your device perpetually unlocked.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I think you're out of luck, then. Apple wants to encourage users to have passcode with TouchID enabled for security. They aren't going to promote features that let your keep your device perpetually unlocked.

Well yeah, there is no native way to do it, hence I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a jailbreak to allow it :p

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
It does not, when I turn the passcode off, it shuts down all of Touch ID. So when opening 1Password, it only allows for the typed password and not Touch ID. So for Touch ID to work, the password must be enabled.

Turning off Touch ID for iPad unlock still requires the passcode to be in putted on wake. But I don't want there to be any unlock requirement. I want to just flip open the Smart Cover and have it go to the home screen, open 1password, and use Touch ID to open it.

Essentially Id like to have Touch ID enabled without having a device lock

That's why I said change the passcode required time, you should be able to set it to hours. It's as close as you'll get without a tweak of some type

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Not possible since there is only one way to turn touch Id. I guess if someone wanted to create their own not secure Touch ID they could but then you wouldn't have it protected from intruders or being erased.

Btw your replies are on the rough side also. If you don't agree w their info just say so; don't complain like you are a 5 year old.

zamudiovsky

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I use Safe House Pro, it automatically enters your passcode when you are in a safe wifi (your home, work, you choose which one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.