Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
Hey,

I have an unlocked iPhone 14 Pro (bought through Apple.com) with T-Mobile, and 90% of the time I have 5G turned off since I don't really need it most of the time. However, when I do turn 5G on, about half the time my phone will not connect even though it says it has a signal (for example, it will say that I have signal but when I open Safari or any app that requires an internet connection it will say that it can't connect). Most of the time, turning 5G off won't fix it and I need to reboot my phone to fix it.

I was hoping it would be a software issue but I'm on the latest version of iOS (16.4.1 (a)) and it's still happening. I don't know if it's a carrier issue, or if my 5G modem is straight up messed up. I don't want to resort to reseting network settings unless I really need to, let alone exchanging my iPhone. Has anyone had a similar issue?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No, but I was guinea pig for Sprint when they rolled out LTE. So, I refused to be a guinea pig for T-Mobile with their 5G rollout. I specifically purchased an iPhone 11 Po Max to avoid being said guinea pig.

All I can advise is taking your phone to Apple and having them check it. They won't do anything if you do not authorize the work, but the diagnostic and troubleshooting is free. At the very least you would have a general idea of what's wrong and whether that's your phone or not.

Reactions: Splitrail

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Strange. I have 14 Pro Max & T-Mobile and the 5G is really very good here in Seattle - strong, consistent connection and signal and usually in the 600-800Mbps range.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2015
Strange. I have 14 Pro Max & T-Mobile and the 5G is really very good here in Seattle - strong, consistent connection and signal and usually in the 600-800Mbps range.
My 5G signal is pretty good when it's working properly! I don't think it's the signal per se– as stated earlier, it typically tells me it has full signal, the phone just won't connect.

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Maybe a carrier issue...you can have full signal but no data if there's a network problem.

Does it happen in different locations?

You could try updating your carrier version.

Also, speak to your provider - you may want to try a new SIM (I had issues with data a few years ago and a new SIM sorted it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.