Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
I don't understand all the negativity about AirParrot either. It works well. Yes, I would like AirPlay to work, but it's limited to my iTunes on my mid 2009 iMac. For $10, I think it's a pretty good replacement.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I don't understand all the negativity about AirParrot either. It works well. Yes, I would like AirPlay to work, but it's limited to my iTunes on my mid 2009 iMac. For $10, I think it's a pretty good replacement.
I agree. For another $15 AirServer lets you go the other way around: AirPlay to a mac. Surprisingly useful (for me).

Michael

pyzon

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I only noticed this morning I can AirPlay from a 2007 iMac and also 2008 unibody Mbps from iTunes. When did this turn up ? Was pretty sure it was not there before or maybe I just missed it..

Jugney

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
I only noticed this morning I can AirPlay from a 2007 iMac and also 2008 unibody Mbps from iTunes. When did this turn up ? Was pretty sure it was not there before or maybe I just missed it..

Are you talking about audio+video or audio only?

AirPlay is the successor of a feature called AirTunes which has been built in to iTunes for many years. Older Macs can definitely support AirTunes since it is audio-only.

sqig

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2014
Airplay

On my MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008) I can Airplay both Audio and Video to my Apple TV 2 via iTunes. I can not screen share Airplay.
You only see the Airplay option of you are on the same WiFi network as an Apple TV.

gwood25

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2016
It also lacks the ability.Apple is not denying you anything here given that this is a hardware feature. It is purely hardware based.
[doublepost=1481361663][/doublepost]
It also lacks the ability.Apple is not denying you anything here given that this is a hardware feature. It is purely hardware based.
No the 2010 MacBook pro does not lack the hardware for Airplay. Mine plays youtube videos and quicktime movies perfectly with Airplay. Apple just decided not to include it as an option thru the display preferences so that we would be forced to upgrade computers. The capability is there for the enabling!
[doublepost=1481362048][/doublepost]
I clearly remember reading that users with pre-2011 macs of different sorts was able to use airplay mirroring during the developer previews, and was quite bummed that this was disabled with the final release.

I'll see if I can find the post!
I use Airplay on my mid 2010 MBP when I use Quicktime, or youtube...even videos on the web while browsing. Apple, apparently, disabled the option in the displays preference for some reason. I can play videos, but not share my desktop. Sucks.

SexyTurd

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017

That's funny. Airplay & Airplay mirroring worked fine on my MacBook up until I installed Mavericks on my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.