Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buffettfan33

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Arlington, VA
Hello all

I've got a 1ghz tibook with the original 60GB 4200 RPM drive in it. I am planning on buying a new drive for it, and putting the old one in an external enclosure. I was looking at the Macally PHR-250CC (http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?DEPA=1&Type=&Item=N82E16817146604&SortField=3&SummaryType=ALL&Pagesize=&Page=2,)

However after reading the reviews on newegg, one person said that the enclosure wouldn't fit the older 12mm drive found on the tibooks (read the second review in the link above). I was just wondering if my revision of the tibook had the 12mm drive or if they had moved to the 9mm by this point.

If it is a 12mm drive, does anyone have any experience with this case with a 12mm or have another recommendation for a 12mm?

Thanks in advance for your help!

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
I have the same computer... it is a standard 2.5 inch ATA Drive Available at many many retailers and online sites.
I want to get this Drive from NewEGG!!!
160 GB in a Notebook!!!
OR
This is the MAIN list for ALL Notebook Drives that will work in your TiBook.

I just read a report saying that Toshiba is going to release a 200 GB notebook drive in August (with Perpendicular recording technology) NICE!

iHotu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
at large
I had this problem with a IBM 48GB 5400 drive that was a 12.5mm drive, ended up buying the cheap MacAlly USB case and cutting off the top so that it would fit.

My drive had the size printed on the outside, if you can remove the back cover and have a look. The drive is right there, should not have to remove it, assuming it's the same as my tibook.

Check out this link - http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MOTGFW/

buffettfan33

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Arlington, VA
Thanks gman and iHotu for the advice and the link.

I found the drives model # and looked it up online. Seems that it is a 9mm. That will make things a lot easier!

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.