Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
hi all,

i've got around 3 hours 45 minutes of footage here that i want to encode as H.264.

so far i've tried using Compressor twice, using the "QuickTime 7 Download - H.264 LAN" preset. i knew that it would take a while to encode - Batch Monitor started out putting the 'estimated time' at around 50 hours. well i can handle that. but then after about 24 hours of processing it's gone up to around 100 hours. :eek: i just can't wait that long - i need my Mac for some editing on Friday night.

so i'm wondering - is there any way i can encode this footage on a PC? i've edited it with FCP so if i was going to encode it on a PC i guess i'd have to first export it as DV footage (which is what it was originally - PAL DV)? which would make a rather large ~40GB file that i'd have to transfer to the PC (which isn't that big a deal since i've got a gigabit LAN setup). then once on the PC - what software could i use to encode it to H.264?

my Mac is a 1.25GHz PowerBook, 1.5GB RAM - so i guess that explains why it'd take so long using it. i don't mind if it takes just as long on the PC, i just can't have my Mac tied up for so long. (of course it'd be great to be able to get it done quicker.) the PC is a Athlon XP 2200+, 1GB RAM.

thanks for any help, i'll check for any opensource apps for Windows that encode H.264 now, but please do post if you've got any suggestions.

also - i don't suppose it'd be possible to setup a network encode using both the PC and my Mac?

thanks for your help. :)

PS - i've also been wondering about Batch Monitor... i needed some extra CPU - so i thought i'd stop then encode and them resume it later (i read that manual and i got the impression that that's what it'd do). so i hit "stop". then i came back later and hit "resume" - only to find out that the encode was starting right from scratch!! :mad: is this how it is supposed to work? is there really no "resume" function?

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
I've noticed that when I'm encoding Mpeg2 videos, if i change the processor usage from automatic to highest in system prefs, my render time decreases significantly. I've never tried changing the setting during a render though.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Oryan said:
I've noticed that when I'm encoding Mpeg2 videos, if i change the processor usage from automatic to highest in system prefs, my render time decreases significantly. I've never tried changing the setting during a render though.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Using handbrake for h.264 mp4s on automatic it takes about 14-16 hours. With highest it takes around 8-10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.