Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcleland

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Nashville, TN
Seems to be taking a long to encrypt everything in my home folder is this normal?
Is this a one time thing, since it says you can do it on the fly once needed?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
It will take a long time when you first do it, especially if you upgraded from Jaguar and have a lot of pictures, music, movies, etc. in your home directory.

Mine has been great. No noticeable slowdowns at all. The only odd thing is that sometimes on a log out or restart it asks me to recover extra space my directory is using. It makes sense, but is a little odd at first.

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Ya I did the file vault thing and it took about and hour to and hour and a half. This is normal, especially if you have a lot of stuff in your home folder. For instance I have about 5-6 gigs of music so it took along time.

Also it does the on the fly thing without any slowdowns, so the waiting is a one time thing. Like Rower_CPU said wen you have extra space in the directory, it will take a minute to free up some space, but you get used to it.

Plus I kinda filevault. It makes me feel safer, even though I didn't feel unsafe before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.