Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koloa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
This one has been puzzling me ever since I got my shiny new MacPro at the end of 2019...

I have a few internal SATA drives I installed in the Promise internal J2I unit. Both are APFS containers.

If I try to add a Volume to be APFS Encrypted, and provide a password (stored in 1Password, so, 100% certain this isn't a copy/paste issue), it works fine. I can use Disk Utility to unmount it, mount it, enter the password, all good, over and over.

However, as soon as I reboot, I am completely unable to mount that Volume. The Finder prompts for the password, I enter it from 1P, there's a brief "shake" as if I entered the password incorrectly, so, I paste it again, click OK, and it fails silently on screen. The Volume remains unmountable, no matter what I try. Played around with diskutil unlockVolume, tried verifying it, nothing works.

What strikes me about this is that it's 100% repeatable, without fail. I have no issue making the initial encrypted volume, unmounting, remounting with the same password, but, as soon as I reboot, it's completely unable to mount it.

For a while, in earlier 10.15 releases, I'd get a UI alert along the lines of "Could not mount “Stuff”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49218.)

I've tried giving this to Apple as feedback through the Feedback Assistant starting on 1 January (day I got my MacPro set up), but the problem has continued.

I've only seen this issue on the MacPro7,1, not seen it on anything else. Not sure if it has something to do with the T2 here, or something else, but it's been frustrating.

Has anyone been able to successfully get Disk Utility to make an APFS Encrypted Container, reboot, and have it all work correctly, using the latest MacPro and Catalina?

Koloa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Okay, thanks, feel a little less insane about this. Frustrating though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.