Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RegRog83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2023
I had an encrypted DMG on my desktop that has completely disappeared, have checked in the trash and isn't there. Finder can't locate it, nor can spotlight. I have even downloaded several recovery programs to see if has been deleted but can find no trace of it. It has, for all intents and purposes disappeared without a trace. Any advice on how to find this file would be hugely appreciated. (Mojave 10.14.6). I don't have a time machine back up either.

Shouldibuy

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2022
On View show view options you have it toggled correct? Did you check in disk utility if it shows there? is this an external encrypted drive if yes which brand?

Reactions: Slartibart

RegRog83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2023
Yes indeed, it was all present as it should have been. It is an image file so when not mounted it doesn't show up in disk utility at all. It was just a set of files that were encrypted by disk utility and saved on the desk top. The only thing I can think is that perhaps it was moved to trash instead of un-mounting and then trash was emptied. But that doesn't explain why something like EaseUS can't find it.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
how big is/was the disk image? You copied it to your desktop/system ssd? does the still occupied or free space of your system ssd indicate that is still there?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
My bet--someone other than you has access to the machine, put the file into the trash, and emptied it. And since you don’t keep backups, the data is gone for good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.