Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mipo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
Prague
DaVinci Resolve coming to IPad. Is this a message to us users of Final Cut Pro that Apple was unable move the FCP to iOS and now we are witnessing slow but somehow expected takover of 3rd party developers over Pro editing software on Apples own platform? This is so sad. We all been waiting for Fcp to move to iOs as we were left with LumaFusion and obvious lack of any development of FCP x Motion suite forward on MacOs. So many requested ftts left out, open letter to Apple from directors in May only got some vauge responce. I hope I am wrong but seeing todays announcement makes me quite angry about Apple and their lack of any move towards superior software they have. Kind of reminds me the Aperture story. Apple wake up!

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Warning: Hardcore negative opinions inbound. I realize my thoughts here are extreme, but I think they reflect the reality of Apple's relationship to professional-class software.

There's nothing superior about FCP. It is, at this point, completely irrelevant in the market, as was Aperture in the face of the faster moving, better developed, cross-platform Lightroom. That you might not like Lightroom, or prefer Aperture, doesn't change the fact that Adobe was hungrier and grabbed market share with both hands. That created the community of users, which in turn creates the critical mass of tutorials, third-party support, and add ons that give any professional software momentum.

Apple is fundamentally disinterested in what users do with their software or hardware. It's Apple's, we're all just allowed to use it. That Jobsian conceit: Don't give people what they want, tell them what they want.

Apple's approach to professional software is fundamentally aligned with this manner of thinking: Update when it suits them. Ignore the complaints. Claim the mantle of superiority without justification. Roadmaps are secret. Do little to foster community. Momentum out of control of the mothership and outside the boundaries of a razor-crafted marketing message is unwelcomed.

I used to know a huge community of FCP users. Not one of them still uses it. It's not a matter of if FCP will get the Aperture treatment, but when.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Apple's approach to professional software is fundamentally aligned with this manner of thinking: Update when it suits them. Ignore the complaints. Claim the mantle of superiority without justification. Roadmaps are secret. Do little to foster community. Momentum out of control of the mothership and outside the boundaries of a razor-crafted marketing message is unwelcomed.
I can see how that would be frustrating. I've seen software titles that go the way of the dinosaur, because their parent companies, developers and marketing teams do not encourage community-based growth. The lack of clear roadmaps for product development many be convenient for marketing purposes, but it doesn't help users who have to make their living with the software and need certain new features to be added, or issues to be fixed.

A global corporation of Apple's size definitely has to contend with the ills of being the giant that they are.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
FCP is doomed just because Apple showcased a (very watered down that I doubt it can do everything the desktop version) 3td party app running on the iPad. Like there is a correlation between this and the status of support. Not game-changing enough in my opinion.

Reactions: lcubed and dandeco

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I suspect that among seeing how popular LumaFusion and DaVinci Resolve for iPad are, Apple will come out with a version of Final Cut for their iPads. Maybe revive the Final Cut Express name for it or something.

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I don't get it...in what way could video editing on an iPad be a better experience than video editing on a MacBook? Why would a pro want to use an iPad?

I'm willing to bet that FCP on a two-year-old M1 MacBook Air is going to be a far more productive experience than anything on an M2 iPad Pro.

And a novice doesn't need FCP. That's what iMovie is for.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
I don't get it...in what way could video editing on an iPad be a better experience than video editing on a MacBook? Why would a pro want to use an iPad?

I'm willing to bet that FCP on a two-year-old M1 MacBook Air is going to be a far more productive experience than anything on an M2 iPad Pro.

And a novice doesn't need FCP. That's what iMovie is for.
I agree; generally I prefer editing video on a Mac. The only novelty I see with iPad video editing is that you can shoot and edit your footage on the same device. And even then, when I shoot footage on my iPhone SE, I prefer to load my footage onto my Mac for post-production, rather than edit on the phone.
And while iMovie for iOS is pretty limiting (you currently can't even color-correct your footage the way you can on the Mac OS version of iMovie), there are a few other choices for novices looking for more power but don't want such a high-end application, such as Adobe Premiere Rush and Cyberlink PowerDirector.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You don't realise how good it is on iPad until you've tried. I've used Sony Vegas, Davinci Resolve, and Lumafusion. I miss all the features of the first two, but iPad editing is a real joy.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Apple may be planning this before they release Final Cut Pro on the iPad Pro(s)...?

50926-100569-macOS-on-iPad-xl.jpg

Reactions: dandeco

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Personally I think eventually as SoCs becomes powerful enough all the OSes will become one with the obviously refinements coming to their respective hardware platforms. Just my opinion.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Personally I think eventually as SoCs becomes powerful enough all the OSes will become one with the obviously refinements coming to their respective hardware platforms. Just my opinion.

We have:
  • macOS
  • iOS
  • iPadOS
  • watchOS
  • tvOS

And soon(ish) we might have:
  • realityOS

But if Apple combines them all:
  • bloatOS

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Since when is Apple ever first to market?

Apple are likely to watch Da Vinci Resolve's performance - and then launch a product that's easier to use and which is designed to appeal to a wider market.

Apple understands that the 'pro' market is small and disproportionately vocal on social media.

No one builds a billion-dollar company by serving 'pros'.

That's a thankless and unprofitable mission.

Reactions: iObama
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.