Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
My G4 Power Book (Tiger 10.4.3) has started going into "deep" sleep after about three hours of rest, and the only way to recover is to reboot with the power button.

I recently had to use the DVD to repair a minor free space issue on the HD, and the disk verifies okay now.

Could there be a connection between the two? The issue started after the repair, but doesn't happen every time sleep is started.

BB99

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
mad jew said:
Well, first step would be to try resetting the PMU.

However, before going much further, can you tell us a bit more about this free space problem and what you did to repair it? :)

The HD failed a verification after an external drive was disconnected before its activity was finished. "Volume Bit Map needs repair - minor", and "Invalid Volume free block count" error messages. I booted from the Install disk, and repaired the problems with the Disk Utility app.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Will Cheyney said:
Sounds like something that happened to me.
Best was to repair it is to backup, and reinitialise before you get a total HD crash.

I'm reluctant to reinitialize at this time over such a minor issue. The disk passes verification, and I backup the important files regularly. The PMU reset option also looks like something I'd try before a reintilization.

I reset the energy options to the extremes, then back to normal, and the issue hasn't returned so far.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I agree, a reinstallation is a very extreme step and should only be resorted to as a lastish resort. There's quite a few troubleshooting steps to go through first. As noted previously, a PMU reset is your next, best step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.