Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thasoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Dear OS X and Mac Pro Experts,

this is a very strange thing: I´ve observed, that OS X seems to power down all HDs in Energy Save mode. That is fine.

But when I request a file from HD1 also HD4 seems to be powered up. Now the special hint: HD4 has nothing to do with the requested file: It´s my Bootcamp HD.

So my suggestion is: OS X cannot differentiate between single drives, if they are alle from the same manufactor.

My setup: 3x 400GB Samsung and 1x160 GB Seagate

How can I keep different HDs down - or is the SATA II BUS only ON or OFF at all?

Any Ideas?

PS: I want to spin down my useless Windows HD to safe energy AND HEAT.

Qianlong

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
you cant try out http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/index.html

I think their DISK sub menu let you set the disk spindown time on diff disks.

of course when you start or wake from sleep all your HD will be active, just set a short spindown time on your Bootcamp HD.

I think apple energy save doesn't allow you to control diff spindown times on diff disks, it has nothing to do with the make of your drives.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Negative on that. The menu shows different disks, but if you change the settings on one disk, the setting applies to all disks. There might be a way to create a script but there is no easy way that I could see to do it.

Qianlong

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
just tried out Coctail on a friends machine and the trick doesn't work.

if you have the money get a FW or eSATA case for your BC HHD so you can boot from them and switch them off when you don't need them.

but I would just leave all my 4 HDd in the computer

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Is the bootcamp disk mounted? I.e. does it show up in Finder?

If it is then you'll probably find it gets spun up now and then, it certainly does for me. It's generally an app scanning the disks looking for a folder or somesuch.

You need to unmount the drive to prevent this from happening.

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
quick question

Hi guys, just a quick question: whenever I try to modify something on system preferences -> energy saver (something like the "automatically reduce the brightenss of the disbplay before sleep") my changes go back t the original defaults and tu a "custom" energy mode. Is there any option I have to uncheck to make sure I can customize everything and keep it as I want it? thx!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.